Looking for a book

Posted by: GrumpyGord

Looking for a book - 06/16/09 01:05 PM

There was a book which I read several years ago about some sailors or explorers who were abandoned down near the southern coast of the US and they made their way up the Appalachian Mountains to New England where they were finally rescued. . This took place early in American history. Probably 1500-1600. The trip took a couple of years if I remember correctly. I think that the book was actually a journal instead of a story. I cannot remember the name of the book. Ring a bell with anyone?
Posted by: hafdome

Re: Looking for a book - 06/22/09 02:33 AM

Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca was a Spaniard who had an epic journey through the Southwest from 1528 for about an 8 year period. They eventually were re-united with their Spanish brethren in Mexico. The time frame is the same, I don't know if this is the group you are talking about. De Vaca wrote of his journey after his return to Spain. Hope this helps.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Looking for a book - 06/22/09 06:27 AM

No. I just re-read that book which brought to mind the other one. The one I am thinking about went from Florida area up to New England. They finally ended up at one of the settlements in New England. The first time I heard about it someone had said that it probably was the first through hike on the Appalachian Trail. It has been a long time since I read it. I have not been able to find anything looking at Google or Amazon.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Looking for a book - 10/22/09 08:24 PM

I Dont know the book myself, I wish dad was alive he most likley would. However, if you can think of the author or part of his name, try www.abe.com