Charging Electronics when Backpacking

Posted by: Calum Warden

Charging Electronics when Backpacking - 11/03/20 12:51 PM

I am a product design student looking to design an electronics charging device that is seamless, lightweight, practical and does not reply on a mains power supply.

I have created a quick survey to understand how backpackers charge their devices and interact with their charging devices.

Would really appreciate if people could fill this survey as user research is a huge part of coming up with the best solution.

I have posted the link below, many thanks.

[Moderator removed link to survey located outside forums]

Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Charging Electronics when Backpacking - 11/03/20 10:14 PM

I don't take any electronics that require charging on my backpacking trips. Only a small phone that lasts for at least two weeks...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Charging Electronics when Backpacking - 11/04/20 11:57 AM

Same here--no rechargeables--I carry extra batteries only for my camera. My headlamp uses lithium batteries and they last for months. To be sure, I put new batteries in before each trip.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Charging Electronics when Backpacking - 11/04/20 05:24 PM

What is there to design? you want the most mAhr in the lightest smallest package.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Charging Electronics when Backpacking - 11/06/20 08:48 PM

I take nothing that requires recharging on the trail. I take almost nothing electronic. I find that electronics tend to be heavy for the functionality they deliver and when you add in a recharging unit of some sort they become even heavier. No thanks.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Charging Electronics when Backpacking - 11/19/20 05:00 PM

I take an iPhone that makes amazing photos, has a dedicated gps chipset for an extra navigation tool and holds all my plant reference books, all things I do when in the wilderness canyon and mountain country. So it saves me quite a bit of weight and bulk. But there are already many power packs on the market of various storage capacity so this is nothing new.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Charging Electronics when Backpacking - 11/21/20 02:24 PM

I carry a Brunton battery+PV panel combo, but they seem to have stopped selling them. Have two: one is a rectangle with PV on one side and the other is cylindrical with a flexible PV that rolls out into a large panel. The second one recharges more quickly.

My kit is migrating to rechargeable devices, including headlamp, InReach and phone (for connecting to InReach). The camera doesn't field-recharge, although such cameras do exist.

For a night or two it's hard to make a case for field recharging but for longer trips it justifies itself pretty quickly, because it's essentially unlimited on the back end with no spare batteries needed.

Cheers,