LED lighted Fleece Beanie power cap

Posted by: OhioCC

LED lighted Fleece Beanie power cap - 11/23/15 08:09 PM

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Vision-Lighted-Grilling-Handyman/dp/B00NI35UV0

I was at Lowe's the other day and they had these on sale for 14 bucks. I was going to buy a fleece beanie anyway and thought what the heck and picked one up. I tried it out last night as it was 26 degrees. I was using the light to see my way back and forth from my shed to get wood for my firepit. I have to say I'm impressed with the warmth of this hat and it puts enough light out to see what I'm doing really well. I'm not sure how reliable the light would be but it would make a great backup on a winter trip where you would be wearing the beanie anyway.

If anyone owns one I would love to hear what you think about it and how its been working out for you.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: LED lighted Fleece Beanie power cap - 11/23/15 10:58 PM

I'd rather have a separate headlamp. Think of all the times you want light when you don't need to wear a beanie--or vice versa!

Also, for night hiking, I've found that can see the trail better if the light is down closer to my waist.

I use one of those little Photon LED lights as a backup light--it can be used anywhere, and I've found it handy when the batteries on my main headlamp run out (that never happens in the daylight!). With that and my headlamp, I don't need another light source, and both of them can be used year around.

Your Mileage, of course, May Vary.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: LED lighted Fleece Beanie power cap - 11/23/15 11:01 PM

I'd give one of those a try. Looks like it'd be great for around camp at the very least, and having an extra light source is always good.

Re: LED lighted Fleece Beanie power cap - 11/24/15 11:35 AM

I already have a headlamp but I thought this would be a good backup light in the winter months when you are wearing a cap anyway. Two of the LEDS point down and the other 2 point forward so it does give a pretty good spread. The only thing I dont know is how long the batteries will last. I think I read 65 hours but I never believe what they say. I guess time will tell.
Posted by: aimless

Re: LED lighted Fleece Beanie power cap - 11/24/15 01:25 PM

Because I am bald I generally sleep wearing my beanie even in moderately cool weather, so for me having hard objects embedded in it would not be a good option. This, of course, has no bearing on how useful it would be for anyone else.

Re: LED lighted Fleece Beanie power cap - 11/24/15 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By aimless
Because I am bald I generally sleep wearing my beanie even in moderately cool weather, so for me having hard objects embedded in it would not be a good option. This, of course, has no bearing on how useful it would be for anyone else.

Actually you would not even feel anything. The battery holder is very slim and off to the side slightly. It uses 4 cr2032 batteries so the battery compartment is thin.