Dual Chamber Water Bladder System

Posted by: dylansdad77

Dual Chamber Water Bladder System - 05/09/15 12:05 PM

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/11/13/sour...r-dvide-system/

I saw this pop-up on my Facebook thread and thought it looked interesting. I had to pause for reflection to determine the practicality of using 2 smaller chambers versus 1 larger and, aside from the obvious option of bringing 2 different beverages, I had an epiphany.

What if you were to fill one side and freeze it? Then right before departing fill the other side? The ice would keep your liquid water cold and slowly melt offering you cold drinking water all day. Thoughts?

Totally random thought: Sheepishly excited that this is my 100th post. That is all...
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Dual Chamber Water Bladder System - 05/10/15 06:54 AM

I think the melting process would happen pretty quickly if you didn't insulate it. , leaving you with the usual amount of lukewarm refreshment. If it was cold enough to deter melting, you don't need the cold liquid. For backpacking, too complicated and extra weight. I've carried a Hydroflask in a cage on the bike and it was a luxury to have ice cold sips for a few hours. Doesn't have a bite valve, though. Gotta stop or be a hands free pro. I've also used it backpacking on the quick over-nighters in our trail infested neighborhood. I make my coffee at dinner time and don't have to fuss in the morning when we're trying to get out quick or hit the trail at first light.
I'll stick with stainless and bombproof. I can very well be wrong as to how long it would stay icy, though. I'd freeze a single bladder if you have it and see how long it stays frozen in your pack.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Dual Chamber Water Bladder System - 05/12/15 10:49 AM

I see there's some sharp corners in the shape of the two bladders, not at the bottom, but at the top and at the boundary between them. I would think a solid chunk of ice in this shape might be pretty hard on your water bag. I don't have any experience to back this up, just my thoughts.