easy gps software for oregon 450

Posted by: howlinmadman

easy gps software for oregon 450 - 03/16/13 09:02 PM

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 and would like to use it for more than just finding where I left my truck! Having said this I am not great with computers. I was looking at the Garmin Topo U.S. 24k software but don't really know anything about it or if I should look at something else. I don't know if it's possible but I want to be able to plan a route and add it to my unit, but I need EASY!!! Any help would be well....helpful!
Thanks
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: easy gps software for oregon 450 - 03/17/13 06:55 PM

Get Garmin's " Basecamp " software, then go to http://gpsfiledepot.com and download the free Topo Maps there.

The Basecamp software will let you install the maps into your GPS and you can create routes with it and upload them to your Oregon. You can download tracks, routes, and waypoints from your Garmin into the Basecamp software to review your trip when you return.

Follow the instructions on the GPS File Depot site to install the maps into your Basecamp software, then follow the instructions on the Basecamp software to install the maps into your Oregon.
Posted by: howlinmadman

Re: easy gps software for oregon 450 - 03/17/13 08:34 PM

I do have the basecamp downloaded onto my computer, I'll check out the link you gave me and see if I can figure it out! Thanks for the info! I may be hitting you up again if I can't.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: easy gps software for oregon 450 - 03/17/13 10:53 PM

I'll be glad to help. The instructions on the gps file depot site are pretty good, and so is Garmin's Basecamp software.

I think it's a little different on a Mac than a PC, and I'm using a Mac, but they're not that different. For Mac users that Basecamp software is a real treat. For years we had doodley squat for GPS software and right now there isn't much else I know of, but Basecamp and those maps work pretty good, and it gets what I want most done.
Posted by: TomD

Re: easy gps software for oregon 450 - 03/21/13 06:33 PM

GPS FileDepot is the best place I know of for free maps. Very helpful members and it works with PCs as well-that is what I have. Between the two, you should have few problems once you figure it out. If I can, anyone with rudimentary computer skills should be able to get the maps and load them on their GPSr.