GPS that send out sms (is one out yet)

Posted by: aspenedelen

GPS that send out sms (is one out yet) - 08/22/11 09:37 AM

In a month my ten month old son and I are taking a roadtrip fronm S. Dakota to Labrador, Canada. Is there a device out yet (Delorme comes out in Oct) that is a gps but also allows you to send out short sms messages to whomever letting them know you are safe? I don't want the wife to flip out when I don't contact her for two or three days b/c I won't have cell coverage.

thanks for the help
Posted by: oldranger

Re: GPS that send out sms (is one out yet) - 08/22/11 05:02 PM

Spot 2?

I have no experience with this unit. I understand it will transmit your location to selected persons, as well as routine, preformatted messages ("having wonderful time. Wish you were here") via the internet.

Spot products are no stranger to consumer recalls, and the above capability requires a subscription service which is a no-go for me.

Now that I think about it - I had no cell phone coverage for the first FIFTY years of my existence. Can you imagine the pain, the horrors, and the agony? I and others like me who endured these circumstances (no twitter and facebook, either) deserve at the very least a national holiday, complete with parades and speeches, as well as generous pensions......
Posted by: Gershon

Re: GPS that send out sms (is one out yet) - 08/22/11 09:53 PM

I have a SPOT I which is supposed to be more reliable than a SPOT II. It sends out my position every 10 minutes if I remember to turn it on.

Here is a track from my last trip.

I program the OK button to send an OK SMS message as well as an email at the start and the end of the day or if we stop for a long time during the day.

I use the "Help" button to request non-life threatening help. If it's at a road, it's simply a request to be picked up. If it's on a trail, it's a non-medical problem. For instance we are lost, but can hold out a few days while we wait for help.

It can also call 911 which is what it sounds like. That goes directly through SPOT.

Yes, it's expensive. I think $99 for the unit and $150 a year. But I consider it essential gear in my pack. I've found the batteries last about a year with everyday use for a few hours. That makes it better than a cell phone.

I'd suggest attaching it to your pack with a cord as they are easy to forget.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: GPS that send out sms (is one out yet) - 08/25/11 06:10 PM

On my last trip with our scout troop, my other leader had a spot with him. He was borrowing it from a friend. Every night we hit the OK button. Out of the 5 nights we were out, my wife got 3 emails that we were OK.

But, I don't think it is a bad product. I think that it would be a good idea to share one with a bunch of other hiking buddies and share the cost as well.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: GPS that send out sms (is one out yet) - 08/26/11 06:06 AM

One of the local expedition clubs and a local gear store bought one and they rent it out. Sounds like a great idea. Most folks only require one a few days a year.