Garmin 60CSx

Posted by: Mr. Fishunt

Garmin 60CSx - 06/17/11 09:05 AM

All,
Please provide feedback on the free topo map down loads for the Garmin 60CSx.
Do they work, any problems?
Which website do you recommend?
All tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mr. Fishunt
Posted by: lori

Re: Garmin 60CSx - 06/17/11 06:26 PM

I used the map here - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28 - with the Garmin software. since the gps already had USGS maps loaded, I haven't tried to load the map into the unit.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Garmin 60CSx - 06/17/11 08:18 PM

It probably depends on the map, but I have a Garmin 76CSx, which is the marine version of the 60. I downloaded a map of the Palm Springs area from GPSfiledepot and once I figured out how to do it, it worked great. Just put it on a separate card so you don't erase anything you already have. They are only a few bucks apiece. Available at Radio Shack and other fine retailers.

GPSfiledepot is a great site. The forum members are very helpful if you have questions.
Posted by: jps1021

Re: Garmin 60CSx - 06/18/11 03:00 AM

No need to buy the Garmin topos on SD cards or DVD. The state topos at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ work just fine. As long as you have a copy of MapSource installed, don't worry. Just download and install the map(s) you need. (If you bought the unit used, and don't have MapSource, let me know and I'll post details on how to get it installed.)

I've even created my own smaller 'area' topos and simple trail network overlay maps that work fine too. It's a slightly simplified take on the quite involved topo creation tutorials that can be found on gpsfiledepot.

After the topos are loaded into MapSource, you will still need to load parts of (or the whole) map onto your GPS for use in the field. Check this link for a tutorial on how to do this. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/ Again, let me know if you have problems and I'll post up something more detailed.

Try these things for now. I'm happy to work with you on issues you run across as you start wroking with and experimenting with your 60CSx.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Garmin 60CSx - 06/18/11 03:02 PM

MapSource is Garmin's proprietary uploading software. I got my GPSr used and got the software off Garmin's website. I was lucky When I bought mine, the seller had everything for it-book, extra card, cable and some maps. I downloaded the software and then a map from gpsfiledepot. Then I was able, as JPS mentions, to create a map of just the sections I wanted and load that onto my SD card. It took me a while to figure out how to do it, but the tutorials jps linked to in his post are pretty easy to follow.

My particular GPSr is bigger than most, not sure why, and the screen is smaller than the newer Garmins, but it runs on AA batteries, which I like, and I got it at a great price, so no complaints. It will run on rechargeables, so I imagine the 60CSx will too. I have a kit from Eneloop (Sanyo) that I think came from Costco and haven't bought batteries in years, except a few as backups for winter travel.
Posted by: shotokun16

Re: Garmin 60CSx - 07/13/11 08:18 PM

ya gpsfiledepot.com works great. But if you search really hard through GOOGLE you can probably find other programs. Hint HINT HINTTTTTT! (To_ r_ _ t) confused