Hiking watch with distance capability

Posted by: tara

Hiking watch with distance capability - 03/10/11 06:02 PM

I am looking for a hiking watch that includes distance. I don't really care about heart rate apps. I am considering the Silva Tech 40 Trail Leader or Tech 4o Trail Leader. Any suggestions? Priorities for the watch are: Elevation measurement, distance measurement and compass. Temp and barometric press are desirable. ANY SUGGESTIONS??
Posted by: lori

Re: Hiking watch with distance capability - 03/10/11 06:31 PM

You're describing a GPS, except for the temp. Most of that info is available on the Garmin I use.

GPS will connect to satellites and tell you distance traveled, time moving, time stopped, etc.

It sounds like you want a combination of things - like a Brunton Atmospheric Data Center, for the barometer/temp/watch, and a GPS for the altimeter, distance and compass. I've seen GPS units you wear on the wrist (for runners) and watches with altimeters, but all of that in one device is not common and not in watch format.

Note that relying on any electronic compass completely is not recommended - electronics fail.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking watch with distance capability - 03/10/11 10:06 PM

Actually, the altimeter and barometer are measured via air pressure. You have to adjust your altitude at a known altitude on the map because of changes in air pressure. If your camp falls during the night, you know a storm is coming!

+2 on always having a manual compass with you!
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Hiking watch with distance capability - 03/15/11 06:52 AM

Any GPS will give you the time and it will be more accurate than almost any watch. I like a Garmin Foretrex - it straps on my wrist and gives me location, distance traveled, elevation, pace, average pace, etc. It is a tad bulky, but very useful. Mine has a compass function once I am moving, but I don't think I have ever needed it.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking watch with distance capability - 03/19/11 02:18 PM

There are GPS running watches available. I just ran into a review.

I suspect that a lighter watch plus a GPS (plus a manual compass for backup) would be more useful. However, I don't use a GPS, since I far prefer map/compass navigation when off-trail to still another gizmo requiring batteries.

Note that the more functions on your watch, the more often you'll have to change batteries!