Posted by: Rick_D

There's a laser in your future - 02/14/10 08:01 PM

Check out video #3, then dream the dream. smile

http://intellectualventureslab.com/?p=653

Cheers,
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: There's a laser in your future - 02/14/10 09:28 PM

Great idea Rick,
BUT I have often wondered what would happen if mosquitoes became extinct as they are the primary food for many things including trout. I wonder if humans could survive without mosquitoes? How does malaria help control human population? How many bird species would vanish? Mosquitoes are almost as much of a primary food source as grasses. etc etc. A buddy of mine used to vaporise ants with a laser, but gasoline was faster.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: There's a laser in your future - 02/14/10 09:53 PM

I say kill 'em all off and let our kids deal with the future of mankind/trout. grin
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: There's a laser in your future - 02/14/10 11:41 PM

The male mosquito, an inoffensive creature whose only vice is mating with the female mosquito, is actually an important pollinator of plants, or so I've read. With bees dying out due to various diseases, we either encourage other pollinators or end up with no fruit or vegetables to eat.

Re: There's a laser in your future - 02/15/10 12:52 AM

I figure it's just going to zap the mosquitoes coming for me, so there's plenty more to go around. However...what if we strapped them to Roombas? Or turtles? Laser turtles! Yeah, baby.

Cheers,

Re: There's a laser in your future - 02/15/10 02:15 PM

As it turns out, somebody's been working on this for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSIWpFPkYrk&feature=player_embedded#
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: There's a laser in your future - 02/15/10 03:58 PM

Strangely enough the Space shuttle had two Air Force mandated options before they would contribute money to its original design. It had to be big enough to hold a Big Bird satellite, and it had to have that positioning system in the back that could hold a large mirror...
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: There's a laser in your future - 02/15/10 08:36 PM

Just any FYI--mostquitoes are NOT the primary food for trout. You'd have to list midges, mayflies, caddis flies etc well before you got to mosquitoes...