Shake down.

Posted by: rockchucker22

Shake down. - 02/23/14 01:22 PM

My son and I got s few new items at Christmas and he has been asking when are we going to hike out from the house and shake down the new gear before we do a longer trip. With the spring like weather and longer days we decided to head out yesterday and hike the Tungsten's. Beginning of the hike, Dagan ready to start climbing.

Mina with her water and food.

Dagan signing the register on tungsten peak ( not really a peak but that's ok)

An old 1/2 gal bottle at a coyote hole.

Camp

End of the day

It was a perfect share down trip, lots of star watching, quality father son time. Can't beat it!
Posted by: jimmyb

Re: Shake down. - 02/23/14 08:57 PM

Hey man, great pics. The one with the sun beams running across the top of your shelter is awesome! goodjob Looks like your son had a great time, which Im sure made you plenty proud.

jimmyb
Posted by: phat

Re: Shake down. - 02/23/14 11:42 PM

That looks like an awesome trip - Enjoy that while you can. I'm very jealous.

if he can handle that without whinging it's time take him up into those mountains.
Posted by: phat

Re: Shake down. - 02/23/14 11:43 PM

and if there's a register or a cross at the top, and no trees, it counts as a mountain where I come from smile

Re: Shake down. - 02/24/14 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By phat
That looks like an awesome trip - Enjoy that while you can. I'm very jealous.

if he can handle that without whinging it's time take him up into those mountains.
thanks Phat, I love camping with him, pure gold. I asked if he wanted to take a buddy along and he said he has a much better time with just the two of us, made me feel good for sure.
Posted by: Commajockey7

Re: Shake down. - 02/24/14 09:22 AM

That looks fantastic. I can't wait to take my kiddos backpacking but first they have to get bigger (they are only 2 and 4) and I have to get more experienced. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Shake down. - 02/24/14 09:32 AM

Great shakedown! How was the water?

Re: Shake down. - 02/24/14 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By finallyME
Great shakedown! How was the water?
Water? What water! We cached water up where we camped a month ago. Bone dry here, we've had no winter.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Shake down. - 02/24/14 12:36 PM

awesome trip!
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Shake down. - 02/27/14 08:57 AM

Great trip! As I remember, it's a little bit of pull to get up there, 1000'+? You are truly blessed. Love the pics, I'm jealous of hiking in t-shirts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin I know that area is just below snow line in normal winters. Stargazing in the high desert at night with your son- if it gets better than that, I don't know how.

Re: Shake down. - 02/27/14 08:14 PM

Yea it's a good 1000 feet from my house, we start quite a bit lower than the trail head. Then I usually don't take the trail but random ridges. Surprising amount of deer live in the side canyons. I'll take the GPS next time and tell you exactly how much elevation gain.
Posted by: SurvivalDad

Re: Shake down. - 04/28/15 12:55 PM

Thanks for the sharing. That looks like the perfect trip. Makes me hate the office job a little bit more.