New Tent for taking the kids...

Posted by: Steadman

New Tent for taking the kids... - 07/02/13 10:19 PM

I got the three oldest (5, 8, and 10) out on the AT last weekend.

We camped in our TARPTENT Rainshadow 2, and the kids complained about being cramped - which makes sense.

So, I need a two person tent to supplement the Rainshadow 2.

Anybody thing I could fit a kid and I into a Contrail - or do I need to go with a Squall? Got any other ideas?
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: New Tent for taking the kids... - 07/03/13 10:07 PM

How about letting the kids have the Rainshadow2 and getting yourself a smaller single person tent? The kids may be able to sleep in the tent at a 90-degree angle allowing even more kids in the tent! When you say "oldest" how many more do you expect to add to the trips in the next few years?
Posted by: Franco

Re: New Tent for taking the kids... - 07/04/13 01:11 AM

I replied to your PM
About the Contrail...
yes you can fit two mats (and sleeping bags) into the Contrail and as long as it is set up so that the mesh slopes outward *you should be OK but you could have the outside of the sleeping bag touching a possibly wet from condensation wall.
Having two bodies and possibly blocking a lot of the air flow will increase that possibility.

The Squall will be easy for you.
* some have problems setting up the Contrail correctly.

Re: New Tent for taking the kids... - 07/05/13 12:38 AM

Well... I have three going now; an almost 10 year old girl, a 8 year old boy, and a five and a half year old girl. The two year old joins us in 3-4 years. My wife has said she will never join us...

The 3 kids currently going and I are maxing out the Rainshadow2; and we're at a 90 degree angle to the front of the tent. I've got enough room, but they are pushing and shoving.

I'd love to put just me in the contrail and let them fight it out, but the point of doing this is to be with them... and either my 10 year old is going to want to be in the tent with me, or the 5 year old will.

Re: New Tent for taking the kids... - 07/05/13 12:42 AM

Franco

Awesome.

Is that a 25 inch mat and a 20 inch mat in the contrail?

And... how is the contrail different than the squall and the rainshadow2 in design that would make it hard(er) to set up properly?

The concern I'm really trying to fix - complaining children don't REALLY bother me - is if we get caught in a storm I figure we're getting wet in the rainshadow 2 with 4 of us in it, set sideways to the door.

Thank you very much for the dialogue and the time on your side.

Sincerely

Steadman
Posted by: finallyME

Re: New Tent for taking the kids... - 07/05/13 10:21 AM

Last year, I had a hard time getting my 11 year old and 9 year old to sleep in a tent without me. It took a chem light, and a 75 lb dog sleeping with them to get them to sleep. The second night, they were more comfortable by themselves (with the dog of course), and my 7 year old even joined them. Luckily it was a 3 person tent.
I have been looking at the hogback for a while. Someday I might pull the trigger.

Posted by: BillgGruff

Re: New Tent for taking the kids... - 08/15/13 07:03 AM

maybe a little 3 season like mountainsmith morrison or celestial and divide up the poles, tent, rain fly between them... Let them set it up and mark out their own territory inside?

Re: New Tent for taking the kids... - 08/30/13 12:34 PM

wandering daisy

Sorry I didn't reply earlier - summer spin.

The youngest is two; I expect him to join the older three kids in 3-4 years, but probably not before then.

Sincerely

Steadman