Cleaning a Child Carrier

Posted by: lupusinvictu

Cleaning a Child Carrier - 05/20/13 06:47 PM

Hi guys, I bought a used child carrier about a year ago and I realized that it stunk to high heavens after I bought it. I thought it was just the sellers house, but it was definitely the bag. I smells sort of like a dirty dog slept on it for a week!

Over the past year I have tried charcoal, baking soda, vinegar, direct sunlight, castile soap, laundry detergent, tea tree oil, lemon juice, and the dryer, but the smell keeps coming back!

Any other suggestions that I haven't tried? I am persistent and this bag (and the smell) is pretty much indestructible!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Cleaning a Child Carrier - 05/20/13 09:10 PM

Usually when a tent or tarp smells this way, it means the urethane coating of the nylon is disintegrating and the only cure is to trash it. If the fabric of your carrier is urethane coated, that may be the problem. I personally have only encountered this phenomenon on a tent that had been sitting in a closet for 15 years after its last use (which was about 5 years after I bought it). I therefore have no idea if your carrier has the same problem, but I'm suspicious.

Anyone else have ideas?
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Cleaning a Child Carrier - 05/21/13 03:07 PM

Well, that pretty much sums up all my ideas, short of a match or craig's list.
Posted by: Julia

Re: Cleaning a Child Carrier - 05/21/14 04:21 AM

Dry cleaner's?

I think that bad smell is an effect of the bacteria so child carrier needs a higher wash teperature...

good luck!
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Cleaning a Child Carrier - 07/07/14 11:28 AM

My wife usually does the laundry (not because I refuse, but because she wants it done right). She's had good results alternating between a base (detergent) and acid (vinegar). Just do a cycle with one, then a cycle with the other over and over until the smell is acceptable.
Posted by: SurvivalDad

Re: Cleaning a Child Carrier - 04/28/15 12:52 PM

I would also suggest dry cleaning. Temp should kill off the bacteria that are causing the smell. IMO