Kids in the Dolomites (Tyrol)

Posted by: skcreidc

Kids in the Dolomites (Tyrol) - 04/07/11 01:47 PM

We are going, with another family, to go to Italy in the summer of 2012. The first week will be spent going hut to hut in the Dolomites. Anyone have any experience trekking with kids in the Alps? I have never been so any insight would be appreciated. We will have a couple of 17 year girls, a 12 to 13 year old boy as well as 4 "adults".

I am trying to nail down a route that is fitting for us as a group. Shooting for 4 to 6 days on trail.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Kids in the Dolomites (Tyrol) - 04/14/11 09:45 PM

No hits yet so I am bumping this up front. grin

Guess I will flesh out a little background. Over a year ago, my wife tells me she would love to travel to Italy. I tell her I would love to go so lets start planning. About a week later she asks me if I would like to backpack the Dolomites? I'm thinking, "Is this a trick question? Amazing alpine scenery, type area for dolomitic rocks, homeland of Reinholt Messner, great food, and on top of that I have never been there." I ask, "Are you sure honey? The mountains go over 7000 ft. We will have to acclimitize first." We agree to hike for 5 to 6 days. This is refugio to refugio, or, resturant to resturant if you like. Just make sure you make reservations in advance and you have a bed to sleep in as well. But it is all alpine terrane.

I should add that these refugios are somewhat to very rustic. Still, you don't have to haul much around day to day.
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Kids in the Dolomites (Tyrol) - 04/15/11 09:22 PM

No, but please continue to send info - that sounds like a cool trip.