Stretching After Hiking

Posted by: SJS

Stretching After Hiking - 09/04/18 12:47 AM

How much, if any, stretching do you do on a regular basis after each day of hiking? None? When you think you need it? When you end the day early and are not too tired? Always?
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Stretching After Hiking - 09/04/18 06:59 PM

I don't stretch much, before or after a hike. My wife stretches before, during, and after a hike. Then again, she may be suffering from tendonitis caused by stretching hear Achilles's tendon too much. My knee hurts because I'm old.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Stretching After Hiking - 09/04/18 07:10 PM

I discovered many years ago that whether or not I stretch when I return to my car after a hike, after an hour's drive I am painfully stiff when I arrive home!
Posted by: Pika

Re: Stretching After Hiking - 09/04/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I discovered many years ago that whether or not I stretch when I return to my car after a hike, after an hour's drive I am painfully stiff when I arrive home!

Yeah, same for me. I’ve tried stretching and not stretching over the years and have not found it to make any noticeable difference. I too am painfully stiff after more than 30 minutes of the drive home.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Stretching After Hiking - 11/09/18 09:50 PM

I do not think you have to necessarily stretch, but it helps to start hiking slowly, and then do a "cool down" at the end of the day. Once you have camp set up, moving around often helps. As for driving home, I stop a lot and walk around. I really do this more to stay awake!

I do not get stiff unless I exceed what I normally do. Occasionally I will hike 20-25 miles out the last day, camp at the trailhead, and then I AM stiff in the morning! That said, as a tradition, I purposely do a 3-5 day killer backpack early season and suffer greatly. I probably should tone that down as I get older.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Stretching After Hiking - 12/08/20 02:44 PM

For me stretching is very important. I do it first thing in the morning before hiking or anything else and again mid afternoon. I have a full set of stretches and the key is to do them gently so you feel a slight tug. This will help the back, the knees and Achilles’ tendon. Too aggressive and you do damage.

My illiotibial band was causing my knee grief and other tendons in hip had become too tight. It took a long time but I got them stretched back out and things are MUCH better now. I don’t even think about it anymore. I just do it twice a day.