SAR Insurance out there?

Posted by: ncmtns

SAR Insurance out there? - 02/20/15 02:58 PM

As I get older, backpacking the Eastern US gives me cause to wonder if any insurance company out there offers coverage to defray expenses in recovery of pulling my injured self from the woods. Ant thoughts?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: SAR Insurance out there? - 02/20/15 03:17 PM

Maybe this? Plus, you'd be carrying a SPOT transceiver.

Cheers,
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: SAR Insurance out there? - 02/20/15 04:03 PM

Search and Rescue does not charge. They are an emergency service like the police, not a private ambulance company. Someone correct me with the appropriate references if I am wrong but as of now there are no reimbursement costs associated with SAR in the US.

Keep in mind this is different than life-star or other medical billing which would fall under your personal/health insurance.

I do stand partially corrected; a bit more homework and some states (individual laws) allow for the recovery of expenses if the party being rescued is reckless or negligent. IE: getting drunk and plowing your 4x4 off a jump or something. This would not apply to things like breaking a leg on a trail, snake bite, that sort of thing.
Posted by: BZH

Re: SAR Insurance out there? - 02/23/15 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By AdventureMyk
Search and Rescue does not charge. They are an emergency service like the police, not a private ambulance company. Someone correct me with the appropriate references if I am wrong but as of now there are no reimbursement costs associated with SAR in the US.

Keep in mind this is different than life-star or other medical billing which would fall under your personal/health insurance.

I do stand partially corrected; a bit more homework and some states (individual laws) allow for the recovery of expenses if the party being rescued is reckless or negligent. IE: getting drunk and plowing your 4x4 off a jump or something. This would not apply to things like breaking a leg on a trail, snake bite, that sort of thing.

I imagine if you are negligent you would have a hard time getting the insurance you payed for to pay out. Sounds like a catch 22.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: SAR Insurance out there? - 02/24/15 11:35 AM

It is possible to get charged in Colorado. You can get a CORSAR card which covers everyone in the group, but the loopholes are large. It does not cover helicopter evacuation.

Colorado does tend to charge for fires that get out of control.

The best defense is being broke. smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: SAR Insurance out there? - 02/24/15 01:03 PM

Wyoming says they will charge for evacuation by helicopter (usually a private helicopter) or horse packer. If a military helicopter is used, the time is charged to practice hours, but Wyoming is quite short of military helicopters.

I've heard that New Hampshire can charge but haven't researched that rumor, since i've never hiked there.

Nearly all SAR personnel are volunteers and are strongly opposed to charging rescuees. Delays in calling for help due to fear of being charged mean a much worse situation and often greater risk to the rescuers.

I have heard that the American Alpine Club is a good source for SAR insurance at home and abroad, but, again, I've never researched. Some countries require such insurance for climbers (France, for example). The insurance can be bought locally, in the case of France from the Club Alpin Francais. At least that was true when I visited their office in Chamonix in 2000.

I'm lucky in that medical helicopter evacuation is covered by the ambulance portion of my medical benefits. Of course if it's not a medical helicopter, I'm stuck!