Grizzly Bear Management website, Wyo

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Grizzly Bear Management website, Wyo - 05/06/14 02:31 PM

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/wtest/wildlife-1000674.aspx

Good website to read if planning a trip in northwestern Wyoming.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Grizzly Bear Management website, Wyo - 05/06/14 02:58 PM

I like better Montana's tutorial and test on distinguishing black bear from grizz: Montana bear identification tutorial and exam.
Maybe it's the extra shock (in the Montana test) of realizing you just "shot" the wrong bear and will probably spend a few years receiving free room and board from the Federal Prison system…. Mostly, though, it's that Montana's pictures are better.

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Grizzly Bear Management website, Wyo - 05/06/14 06:48 PM

I will have to look at that one. The reason I like the Wyoming web site is that it documents all grizzly encounters and plots them on a map- that way I can see where the grizzlies are relative to my trip plans. It also gives me a quantitative measure of the risk. Does the Montana web site do that for Montana areas?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Grizzly Bear Management website, Wyo - 05/06/14 11:04 PM

Not really--it's the bear identification quiz on the Montana site that is outstanding. It's amazing how many people mistake a large black bear (especially in brown or cinnamon phase) for a grizzly!

Montana also has an excellent site on identifying bull trout, something those of us who fish in the Pacific NW need to know--if caught, they have to go back into the stream.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Grizzly Bear Management website, Wyo - 05/15/14 01:09 PM

Both sites seem good to me, although I got 100% the Montana's test, and I missed 1 on Wy's test. I DO like Wyoming's Griz capture data. And taking the tests is good practice either way... funny the way people call some bears in the Sierra brown bears based on their color alone.