MEDIVAC ins.

Posted by: intrek38

MEDIVAC ins. - 06/11/12 08:13 PM

In my research for a PLB, Spot, or SAT Phone, I came across some insurance for just in case. At $2.25 a day, it seems very reasonable enough to just go ahead and get it. Does anyone in here have any info about this insurance or anything like it???
Thanks for your help...

http://www.geosalliance.com/medivacplus/index.html
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: MEDIVAC ins. - 06/11/12 09:12 PM

In most places in the US, there is no charge for rescue. Nearly all rescue personnel are volunteers. US Military and National Guard helicopters count their services as useful training time, so don't charge either.

However, I noticed that in Wyoming's Wind Rivers the rescuee is responsible for the expense of helicopters. In that area, private firms are involved--no nearby military helicopters. My health insurance policy will pay if it's a medical evacuation--i.e. I have to be helicoptered to a hospital.

Some countries require you to have evacuation insurance, but it would be a good idea to find out if this insurance meets their specific requirements.
Posted by: lori

Re: MEDIVAC ins. - 06/11/12 09:14 PM

If you are hiking all over the place, in all different locations, it might be worthwhile.

For me, in California where I am doing all my hiking, it would be a waste of money. There is no charge for rescue services here. Yosemite NP will bill for medical services, not rescue, and typically asks for insurance information to do so.
Posted by: phat

Re: MEDIVAC ins. - 06/11/12 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By lori
If you are hiking all over the place, in all different locations, it might be worthwhile.

For me, in California where I am doing all my hiking, it would be a waste of money. There is no charge for rescue services here. Yosemite NP will bill for medical services, not rescue, and typically asks for insurance information to do so.

Waste of time in Canada too.

The only time you'll get charged is if you call them in frivilously. (I'm out of food, please bring some, I wanted to
see what the button does, etc.)

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: MEDIVAC ins. - 06/12/12 01:26 PM

Is the price per day only when you are out, or do you have to pay for it all year long?

Although it is not needed in many places, if it were to give you peace of mind and in a real medical situation, if the cost factor were eliminated, it might make you a bit more inclined to actually call for help. I know that some of us are very reluctant to call for help for fear of being charged or called a "sissy". I suspect that as more people use PBL's and if the current rescue units get overwhelmed there will be a time when free resuce may be reduced.