You can stop worrying about bears now

Posted by: TomD

You can stop worrying about bears now - 06/06/12 01:47 AM

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-most-humiliating-ways-wilderness-can-kill-you/
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: You can stop worrying about bears now - 06/06/12 12:48 PM

"Do you not see my head is made of weapons?" is a nice turn of phrase. I'm going to try and work that into a conversation by week's end.

A friend had one of those Aussie bunya trees in his yard and would occasionally haul cones to work as "gifts" to leave on folks' unattended desks. Until you've hefted one you can't believe such a thing is even possible. Evidently, every few years he'd have a bumper crop and his front yard would become a potential killing zone.

Biggest cones I see in the wild are sugar pine, which get pretty darn large but an order of magnitude smaller than their Aussie cousins.

Cheers,
Posted by: TomD

Re: You can stop worrying about bears now - 06/17/12 09:14 PM

When I lived in Hawaii, trimming palm trees was a major concern. For one, the fully grown ones are really tall and second, in a high wind, palm fronds or even coconuts could get ripped off. A coconut in its husk, not just like you see them in the store, are pretty darn heavy and could do some real damage if one hit you from 20 or 30 feet.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: You can stop worrying about bears now - 06/18/12 12:07 PM

Funny! Back in the 80's, there were places we wouldn't walk in Cozumel, Mexico, due to coconuts randomly dropping out of the trees. The hotel even had complementary hammocks strung under those things! grin

I get "widow makers" (big branches) crashing onto my trails all the time. One of the reasons the Byron Nelson Golf Classic was moved was because a huge limb fell on a set of portable bleachers, killing a guy.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19810509&id=q3piAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZncNAAAAIBAJ&pg=5615,1354434
Posted by: phat

Re: You can stop worrying about bears now - 06/19/12 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By TomD
A coconut in its husk, not just like you see them in the store, are pretty darn heavy

African Or European? or are you suggesting that Coconuts Migrate?