health for knees and ankles

Posted by: twinmike

health for knees and ankles - 10/31/11 05:29 PM

when packing for several days, pack weight is about 40 to 45, good hiking shoes of course, but is it really good to wrap ankles and knees with tape, or does it do more harm than good. how about putting feet above head at the end of day, one person said it helps lower the fluid in feet from a long hike.
Posted by: BZH

Re: health for knees and ankles - 10/31/11 06:00 PM

I wouldn't pre-emptively wrap ankles and knees unless there is an existing injury or weakness
Posted by: Glenn

Re: health for knees and ankles - 10/31/11 06:22 PM

Unless there's a pre-existing condition requiring it, I wouldn't wrap (and if there was a knee condition, I'd at least consider an over-the-counter knee brace as a more convenient alternative.)

Better "preventive" measures are to wear hiking shoes or boots (as opposed to running shoes, tennis shoes, or work boots) and/or to use trekking poles, in my opinion. Both reduce the chances of slipping or other injuries, and the poles reduce the pounding your knees take.

Putting your feet up (not necessarily above your head, which seems a bit radical) does feel good at the end of the day, but I really couldn't say whether it does any measurable good. It can't hurt!
Posted by: aimless

Re: health for knees and ankles - 10/31/11 07:07 PM

I agree that taping is not required unless there is an injury, past or present. If you are on rough, up-and-down terrain the trekking pole suggestion is probably a good one.

The best preventive for avoiding stress injury to your knees and ankles would be reducing your pack weight. I see you are in Tuscon, so that much of that 45 lbs may be water, but if you are concerned about your knees and ankles, then carrying less weight is the best favor you could do them.

If a stress injury does occur, I would try an elastic bandage first. Then, if that failed to help, I'd think about tape.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: health for knees and ankles - 10/31/11 07:51 PM

"reducing your pack weight..."

DOH!
Why didn't I think of that?

It's a good suggestion, and at least the first round won't cost anything: simplify your style and technique, and you can get by with less stuff, which saves a lot of weight. Then you can throw money at it if you want, to get the last 3 or 4 pounds gone.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: health for knees and ankles - 10/31/11 11:05 PM

It is pretty much basic physics: Reduce you pack weight, then use the poles to reduce the stress on the knees. And wear boots that have some cushion to them.

Once you get all that in line, then you can talk about whether you need additional wrapping, braces, medication, or rest.
Posted by: Allison

Re: health for knees and ankles - 11/05/11 11:10 AM

I agree with the others- get some good shock absorbing trekking poles. My boyfriend has bad knees and always uses poles which seem to really reduce knee pain.

Allison

http://4000-footers.blogspot.com/