I'm fond of joking

Posted by: Rick_D

I'm fond of joking - 08/28/11 11:31 PM

About hiking northwest California's, uh, agricultural areas. But sometimes it's no joke.

Fort Bragg shooting

The region is the largest area in the U.S. without complete soils maps for this very reason.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: I'm fond of joking - 08/29/11 01:58 AM

Quote:

From the article in the Sacramento Bee: The gunman was living in a compound on the property and was growing marijuana.

I lived in neighboring Sonoma Cty. in the '80s and we were very careful of where we hiked, staying on marked trails above Armstrong Redwoods and other public lands, 'cause they were growing sinsemilla on public lands, especially to the north. (Obvious reasons: remoteness, free govt land, no seizure of your property if caught.)

Today, with legalized medicinal marijuana dispensaries all over Denver (there are now more of them than Starbucks here), that legal pot has to come from somewhere. And they've got totally legal grow houses all over Southpark in the mtns to the west of Denver. You definitely want to be careful of trespassing around a "mountain home" with an electric meter whirling (for all the grow lights blazing in the basement.) eek

It would be interesting to know if that former mayor was trespassing (accidentally) on that compound on the property, but even if he was, I hope that they catch that trigger-happy fool who'd kill someone for a few plants -- or the profits from a few plants.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: I'm fond of joking - 10/02/11 12:10 AM

Closure, evidently.

Suspect killed.
Posted by: Wilderness70

Re: I'm fond of joking - 10/04/11 03:58 AM

I live in Humboldt County (just to the north) and this is a very large problem around here. Growers this violent are rare but definitely out there.

Cops were investigating some cabins that had been broken into and this guy started firing on them with an assault rifle... I'm pretty sure the cops didn't even know he was there, and he had the option to get away. Very dangerous guy. Glad he can't hurt any more people.

I get asked a lot why I arm myself whenever legal while backpacking, as we don't have very dangerous animals in Northern California, and this is why.