Mt. Whitney Severe Weather

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Mt. Whitney Severe Weather - 08/01/11 01:55 PM

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/16943/1

This brings up the point that many were not prepared for the weather. The weather was severe but something that you need to be able to withstand without getting hypothermia. The decision to flee or hunker down is always a personal one based on specific conditions. Yet, I would not abandon my tent and flee- take the few minutes to pack it up - you may need it later.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Mt. Whitney Severe Weather - 08/01/11 02:18 PM

Whitney is so popular. There were people ALL over this mountain when this hit; some more ready than others for what turned out to be quite an event. Interesting post link. Thanks for putting it up.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Mt. Whitney Severe Weather - 08/01/11 02:21 PM

Received this from a friend yesterday:

Here are pictures chronicling search and rescue operations involving multiple, helicopter-inserted teams and sweeps. Picture 67 says a crossing was reported to be waist deep on the night of 7-29-11.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockwellb/sets/72157627194409465/

What's amazing to me in your link is the number of people who said there was thunder and lightning and yet they continued on to the summit.
Posted by: AaronMB

Re: Mt. Whitney Severe Weather - 08/01/11 08:24 PM

I believe it.
I hiked a few miles east of Bearpaw Meadow that day, and while the brunt of the storm was obviously a good ways away, I experienced quite a bit of rain and hail Friday afternoon. The thunder continued Saturday as I hiked back to Crescent Meadow; I saw a SAR chopper fly by Bearpaw heading toward Hamilton Lakes as I passed through that afternoon...
Posted by: lori

Re: Mt. Whitney Severe Weather - 08/01/11 09:01 PM

that's some really frightening stuff, right there.

I was in Yosemite. There was a lady on the cables Sunday, fell to her death. Not a good weekend in the mountains.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Mt. Whitney Severe Weather - 08/02/11 11:09 AM

Thank you Nancy for the link, good reading from the folks who experienced the storm.

Duane