Misc Numbness Following Trip

Posted by: Haselsmasher

Misc Numbness Following Trip - 08/14/09 09:33 PM

Almost a week ago I returned from an 8 day, 43 mile trip. I have two areas that are number that I *think* are relatively common, but I'd very much value input from experienced backpackers (which I am not).

One are is the front and outside of my thigh. It's the surface of the skin. From what I've read via Google it sounds like this is relatively common as a result of an extra tight hip belt. Can anyone confirm? Also, what are peoples' experiences with how long it takes for it to go away?

The other area is my foot (same side as the thigh). This is on the sole of the foot, on the outside of the foot - the right side of my right foot. The numbness wraps around the right edge of the foot and onto the top of the foot.

I've had Plantar Fasciitis for quite a while, and I laced up my boots REALLY tight to give them lots of good support. My podiatrist says this should resolve itself in a couple of weeks. Again, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had experience with this.

Thanks.

Jim
Posted by: Barry II

Re: Misc Numbness Following Trip - 08/14/09 11:37 PM

I've had Plantar Fasciitis for at least a year (self diagnosed). From what I read, it takes a long time to heal because there's little blood flow to the tissue that's injured. If you did something to make your foot numb like tie your laces extra tight, you decreased the blood flow even more. And putting too much pressure on other parts of your body could reduce blood flow to your feet too. I'd probably wear looser shoes, sleep on a more padded surface, and put more weight on your shoulders and less on your hips, but this is just a theory.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Misc Numbness Following Trip - 08/15/09 09:30 AM

I'll second what Barry II wrote. I, too, suffer from recurrent plantar fasciitis (I presently have it in my right foot). I have had cortisone injections and a variety of other treatments prescribed over the years. Most of these procedures were of only limited help. I find that time, rest, and anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen work as well as anything.

As for keeping my boots or shoes tight, in my experience that causes more problems than it solves. At one time, I was in the habit of keeping my boots quite tight. This was when I was doing a lot of mountaineering and I liked the feeling that the boots were part of my foot. Over time, though, I wound up with a variety of foot pains that were the direct result of the tight boots compressing my foot to where nerves were being pinched.

Wearing looser boots and shoes solved the problem immediately. It took a while to get accustomed to the looser footwear fit but I did.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Misc Numbness Following Trip - 08/15/09 07:44 PM

Numbness does seem like a nerve is involved (no foot doctor I, note ...). I have Morton's Neuroma, a nerve issue which doesn't affect the side of the foot, but the ball and a couple of inner toes.

I hope yours does go away; I'm contemplating surgery or just ... living with it.

Posted by: Haselsmasher

Re: Misc Numbness Following Trip - 08/16/09 10:20 PM

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. I believe, in all likelihood, this is very benign and will go away soon. If not it's off to the doc...................

Thanks again.

Jim
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Misc Numbness Following Trip - 08/17/09 01:18 PM

I have had numbness in the hip belt and shoulder strap areas (long ago, before I was enlightened by this website). It lasted, as I recall, about 2-3 months at the longest, but usually less. You will probably just realize at some point "hey, I don't have that numb spot any more!".