Foot Pain

Posted by: MissouriWalker

Foot Pain - 07/07/09 08:03 AM

I'm a day hiker, currently preparing for a long hiking trip by taking long walks. On Sunday I walked nine miles (2 miles + long break + 7 miles) over a flat gravel trail (my normal daily walk is 2.5 miles over mixed terrain). By the time I got home, my feet felt tender and uncomfortable. I had discomfort in the toes and at the sole of the foot (centered around the bone at the bottom center of the foot that leads from heel to toe). Today (Tuesday morning) the feet are still a little tender.

I know the toe discomfort is caused by ill-fitting boots, but the discomfort at the sole feels like an aching muscle. I'm just curious whether it's common, when you're training up, to feel foot pain in that area for a while.

Posted by: MattnID

Re: Foot Pain - 07/07/09 09:25 AM

from the sounds of it, you just pushed some joints and stretched muscles more than they're used to. It'll go away after a day or two and it should decrease in tenderness in that time. It might linger slightly for more than two days, but in my own experience it wasn't bad for long. Nothing to worry about too much, your feet will feel fine again shortly.
Posted by: phat

Re: Foot Pain - 07/07/09 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By MissouriWalker

I know the toe discomfort is caused by ill-fitting boots, but the discomfort at the sole feels like an aching muscle. I'm just curious whether it's common, when you're training up, to feel foot pain in that area for a while.

Common as far as I'm concerned, but I find made worse with shoes that my feet don't like. I do a combination approach usually of carefully picking hiking shoes and boots for stuff that feels good and I know I can walk all day in, Taking some ibuprophen or aleve in the evenings after a hard day, taking the odd break and soaking my feet in a cold stream, and just telling myself to "suck it up princess - your feet get tired after a long day".

Me personally, I used to be able to wear merrill mocs all day, however lately I find that if I do I have that bottom of foot pain. Switching shoes makes it go away.

My current favorite for all day comfort are a new pair of Montrail Hardrock 09's, but that's just me. everyone is different.

Re: Foot Pain - 07/07/09 11:44 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I was hoping it was just normal foot pain. The internet was full of scary articles about foot problems.

And yes, I'll be replacing those boots.
Posted by: phat

Re: Foot Pain - 07/07/09 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By MissouriWalker

I was hoping it was just normal foot pain. The internet was full of scary articles about foot problems.

The internet is full of scary articles by people wanting to sell you something. If it really hurts and doesn't go away, that's not what the internet is for, see a real doctor instead..

In the meantime, just keep trying shoes and walk lots in them smile

Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Foot Pain - 07/07/09 03:19 PM

No one, including a doctor, can give you sound medical advice over the internet without a physical examination.
Posted by: Bob Lawblah

Re: Foot Pain - 08/25/09 01:03 PM

I like to use arch supports for that kind of foot pain. Superfeet make a really heavy duty one, but I also have used cheaper ones. I don't recommend the gel type, though, because they cause sweating and odor.
Posted by: Steven

Re: Foot Pain - 09/12/09 11:40 PM

While not a doctor, there is a rule of thumb for runners not to exceed your previous distance by more than 10% at a time. I had been running 4 miles consistently and went for a 9 mile run. My feet bothered me for over a week. I even went to the doctor thinking I might have a stress fracture. A new pair of shoes, and time off my feet was what it took. Now I am up to 13 miles with minor pain in my feet. I am training for a marathon so I am half way there. smile

Good luck.

Re: Foot Pain - 09/13/09 08:47 AM

Two months after originally injuring my feet, and I still have a slight problem, especially in my right foot. I didn't lay off my feet for as long as the doctor recommended, which is probably why the problem lingers.

Friday & Saturday I went on a 12 mile hike over rolling terrain. I was wondering what my feet would feel like afterward. Surprisingly, my feet feel pretty good. The difference is that this time around I wore quality boots of the appropriate size, with the superfeet insoles added.