Emergency Insulating Vest

Posted by: midnightsun03

Emergency Insulating Vest - 05/01/09 06:22 PM

Has anyone tried the Aerovest yet?

Sorry if this has been discussed... I haven't been reading the board much lately.

I thought at 2 oz it might be a nice little piece of insurance.

MNS
Posted by: phat

Re: Emergency Insulating Vest - 05/01/09 10:48 PM

probably better than nothing, but in all honesty I think I'd take a wet wool sweater or fleece with a silponcho on the outside over that.. (I'd also happily take a dry inner layer).

It certainly wouldn't do a darn thing even inflated, with my car broken down in 40 below on the QE2 in the middle of bible belt alberta smile I think I'll keep my silponcho and insulating layer in my pack.. and my MEC parka, sleeping bag, svea stove, pants, mitts, and feltpacks in the car in winter. (I really do keep all that crap in the car then.. only just put the parka away today!)

Posted by: aimless

Re: Emergency Insulating Vest - 05/02/09 02:33 PM

I think the key word you used was "insurance".

In my opinion the best approach is to take as much as you need and not one thing more. Therefore I should have enough clothes to keep me warm in any conditions I reasonably think I might encounter.

If I were to take this vest, it would be as an integral part of my clothing set, with the anticipation that I would be using it at least once during my trip. I would not take it in order to stash it away in an innner pocket, to be retrieved only in some unimagined emergency.

One useful byproduct of this approach is that I already wear what I will be relying upon in that emergency situation, and therefore I am familiar with it, know its properties and how best to use it. And I also know it works! An untried piece of gear or clothing is a piece that could fail you at the worst possible moment.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Emergency Insulating Vest - 05/04/09 12:35 PM

Ryan Jordan did a review.