Lighthouse vs. Ahwahnee ?

Posted by: schweinhundert

Lighthouse vs. Ahwahnee ? - 08/25/08 02:00 AM

I've been happily using the bibler ahwahnee for many years, and just came across the black diamong (bibler?) lighthouse. What's the difference between these guys, what's up with the new materials in the lighthouse? Is one tougher/more waterproof than the other? I was hankering to get a new ahwahnee, now seems I have a choice to make. Thanks for any help.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Lighthouse vs. Ahwahnee ? - 08/25/08 02:55 AM

No direct experience with the Ahwahnee but I have the Pinon (very similar to the new Hilleberg Allak) , basically an Ahwahnee with an extra pole and two vestibules, and the Lighthouse.
All of them use the Bibler design but since BD took over they have released some of the designs under the Black Diamond label using lighter weight Epic rather than "Todd-ex" .
I never used the two side by side (....) but it is my opinion that the Ahwahnee would be warmer and it is more rain proof (never had any drops inside the Pinon) , Epic will wet out after several hours of heavy rain ( with me anything from 4-5 to 7-8 depending on the volume and size/speed of the drops) . When fully closed the Lighthouse will let more light in .
Keep in mind that there is only one door on the Lighthouse, the new Ahwahnee has two.
Franco
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Lighthouse vs. Ahwahnee ? - 08/26/08 12:42 PM

Those are the two tents that I have. The Ahwahnee is bombproof, but weighs 1.5+ pounds more (and that is the single door version). The footprint is very similar, with the Ahwahnee being slightly bigger. The tent body of the Lighthouse packs down much smaller than the Ahwahnee.

I have not had a problem with wetting out with the Lighthouse as much as condensation issues, which given that I am generally in the mountains with the temps dropping below the dew point and next to streams, is not surprising. I have seen other double wall tents have greater issues with condensation at the same location.

So you have the "weigh" the limitations to determine which fits your style. Personally, I like the design with the big open door on the side in these tents as opposed to anything else I have seen on the market. But you can go lighter and smaller.