Esbit again

Posted by: Howie

Esbit again - 08/15/08 06:05 PM

Well Gang. I finally found some Esbit. It seems hard to come by in Canada. However, I found out that it is used as fuel for toy steam engines. A local hobby store in my city carries it. I am overjoyed ,and now I am looking forward to trying it out this coming week.

Howie
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Esbit again - 08/15/08 08:55 PM

Howie,

Cook with two tabs. Blow them out when done cooking & begin the next meal with one new tab on top of the old, partly burned tabs. Just using one tab at a time is too slow. And heck, thay weight next to nothing anyhow.

Eric
Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: Esbit again - 08/16/08 08:17 AM

I use a BPL Ti WIng Esbit stove and it only allows one tab. Even with this, I can bring a pint of water to fisheyes in under 9 minutes. I guess boil time is a relative matter, but it isn't a problem for me. Just be sure to use a foil windscreen, or it can take a LOT longer, and a single tab may not boil that pint.
Posted by: BorealHiker

Re: Esbit again - 08/16/08 05:31 PM

My local store (Cadillac Mtn Sports of both Bar Harbor and Ellsworth, Maine, )was able to order these for me from one of their suppliers. I had just bought a really nifty little titanium stove, which was designed both for Esbit and alcohol. Either way, not the fastest for a quick boil, but I wanted the extra options.

It had been years since I was near an Esbit tab---I don't remember them smelling as bad as they do now. Not when burning, but when you open the pack, rather a bad stench. Is this a safety feature to make them less appealing to the little ones, who may once have mistaken them for sugar cubes?