Platypus survived outside of your pack?

Posted by: El_Canyon

Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/14/08 10:53 AM

Anybody here carry a Platy outside their pack in a mesh side pocket? Has it survived well?

I'm considering toting a 1 liter Platy in each of my pack's mesh side pockets in order to conserve interior space, but I'm concerned about them getting small holes moving through brush.
Posted by: Ben2World

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/14/08 11:04 AM

I use two 1L platy's and have always placed them outside my pack -- in the side mesh pockets. Absolutely no mishap whatsoever. Indeed, the Platy's irregular shape and edges help keep them inside the mesh pockets -- unlike the totally smooth cyclindrical water bottles that will sometimes jump out and escape into the deep ravine below...
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/14/08 01:45 PM

Same here. I love 1L platys since they can be rolled up small when done.

-Barry
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/14/08 02:37 PM

It's my preferred method. I can squeeze two 1.5L Platy's in my G4 side mesh pockets, two each side. I hike mostly desert and did have a cactus spine puncture one of the bags when I fell against an ocotillo. It punctured me too....
I also carry one dangling outside of my carry golf bag and it's survived two years being completely exposed....and I don't baby it. Duct tape will patch 'em in a pinch.
Posted by: Howie

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/14/08 05:19 PM

Like the others have said. I too have had no problems. I have had my two Platys for at least 3 years now and they seem to take a lot of abuse.

Howie
Posted by: lori

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/14/08 05:36 PM

Toted a 2L hoser Platy in the mesh pocket on the side of my GG Mariposa Plus as the bear can would have squished it in the hydration pocket. No problems, other than I failed to tighten the cap enough, but as it was outside I caught the drip early and didn't lose all my water.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/15/08 07:34 AM

Maybe. It is fine for normal trail hiking. For rugged off trail and places like the Grand Canyon I carry the bladders inside the pack.
Posted by: BorealHiker

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/18/08 04:41 PM

This may be as good a place as any to ask this question, or perhaps start a separate thread. So, what do most of you use as your water carrier(s) when on your treks? The Nalgene or other bottles? The platys in this thread? A Camelback 2L? Dromedary bladder with attachments?

I assume taking enough for a couple of nights, but I'd also enjoy hearing about those longer treks some of you lucky folk get to take. Also assuming there is a need to carry water. Even here in the soaking wet Northern New England there are hikes where supplemental water is not reliable. Of course many of you go into very arid regions, and your stories would interest me too.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/18/08 06:17 PM

I try to avoid carrying water containers of any kind internally. Less risk of wet gear and better access. That's what side pockets are for. The only drawback is tepid water on a hot sunny day. That rarely becomes an issue and a moist bandana is a quick fix.

I'm lucky enough to hike in the Sierra where water is plentiful so I rarely carry more than a quart at a time.
Posted by: johndavid

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/19/08 10:21 AM

I had a couple of Platys but eventually replaced them with MSR water bags and a hydration hose. I much prefer the MSR hose mouthpiece. The caps of the MSR bags are much larger (wide-mouth) and more convenient to use than Platypus, and they take water filters if necessary.

Also, they are more durable than Platys. Or at least would certainly appear so....
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/19/08 01:39 PM

“…or perhaps start a separate thread.”

Sounds like a good idea since you have such a big question

-Barry
Posted by: rootball

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/19/08 01:40 PM

I remember posting that same question over two years ago on another forum- and have carried the platy that way for since then with no problems - That takes me back.

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/19/08 03:55 PM

Done. Thanks.

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/19/08 04:46 PM

You just sort of answered a question I have going in my water containers thread, or at least given me food for thought. Leakage on internal gear vs tepid water or punctures when in side pockets. Perhaps less of an issue with day hikes than overnights.
Posted by: deliriousNomad

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/23/08 01:29 PM

I carry a 1L Hoser on the outer pocket of my pack. It's not a mesh pocket - but I've had no problems with it getting any holes, etc.
I carry a water filter in th epocket on the other side so it's aesy to stop for refills...
Posted by: bearbait

Re: Platypus survived outside of your pack? - 08/24/08 01:09 PM

I have been using the same platy for 5 years. Because my pack is small I can't use the hydration pocket inside for fear of blowing out the platy. So I took a small hydration pack and modified it to hang off the shoulder straps of my backpack with key rings and clasps, the waist straps are tucked in and around my waist strap on the big pack. the hydration back has just enough room to keep snacks, hand sanitizer, camera,and a spare platy. I left one shoulder strap criscrossed on the hy. pack so I could sling it over my shoulder. This comes in handy when you have to trek a distanes for water on steep grades. It frees up 1 hand to use a hiking pole. I have been using this system for 4 years now. It works well with all my different backpacks.