sleeping pad

Posted by: HumanBN

sleeping pad - 06/24/08 09:57 PM

Hello,

I've had a couple ales and decided that I should look for a sleeping pad. I have never been much for these things, though I have tried a couple. I have always found that after walking all day I don't have much trouble going to sleep. But, I also seem to be growing a older as time passes, I don't feel any great need to discuss this odd event or age it has brought me to, and I have been considering purchasing a pad to use. Now, my concern is that I want something that is not going to take up much space in my pack. I have been looking at self inflating pads, folding pads, I even found some industrial foam company called Armacell that makes these enormous roles of foam padding that I thought might work well. Not that I want an enormous role to carry around. Anyway, what are your alls thoughts on your sleeping pads? What types do you all like to use, carry and such?
Posted by: TomD

Re: sleeping pad - 06/24/08 10:52 PM

There are several threads on pads. Use the search engine and see that turns up. I have a full size ThermoRest and a Ridgerest.
Posted by: Mattress

Re: sleeping pad - 06/25/08 08:31 AM

I've tested quite a few pads, and settled on the Gossamer Gear NightLight 3/4 length. This does take up a fair bit of room in your pack, but no more than anything other than the thinnest of yoga mats. It does, however, make a good staysheet for a frameless pack, and at 8oz is one of the lightest options.

It's lighter and more comfortable (softer and warmer) than the Thermarest Z-Lite, and keeps its resiliency longer. I've popped too many inflatables for them to be contenders.
Posted by: johndavid

Re: sleeping pad - 06/25/08 08:41 AM

In warmer weather I've taken to often using a folding backpacker's chair as pad and leaving other mats at home. The thing is maybe one-third again as heavy as the lightest-weight Thermarest inflatable pad, much bulkier, and no where near as comfortable for sleeping, but it does the job, and I really, really like the chair function.

I know there are kits that convert a Thermarest pad into a chair, but haven't tried them and am too cheap and lazy to bother. Also, am concerned that they might put lots of wear on pad, which continues to hold up well after 10-12 years of careful use.

I also have a really ratty old closed cell pad that, due to disintegration, has become much more compact and somewhat lighter than when it was new. I leave it in my car for those times when I forget to pack pad, or to supplement Thermarest in winter. If I'm super-concerned about weight and bulk, that's all I use.
Posted by: Paul_C

Re: sleeping pad - 06/26/08 11:35 AM

The big Agnes Air Core pads are my favorite, and fold up into a quite compact square.
Posted by: frediver

Re: sleeping pad - 06/26/08 12:31 PM

I use an air-core type inflatable pad ( nylon air mattress ).
I use this pad on top of a short z-rest in case my pad gets a puncture
that can't be repaired. This combination gives be good insulation
and great comfort for a decent price.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: sleeping pad - 07/09/08 11:52 PM

"Hooman", (That's human in Ferengi.)(You ARE a Trekkie, aren't you?)

Anyhow, I really like my full length Thermarest UL which is now the even lighter ProLite 3, I believe.

Eric
Posted by: Mattress

Re: sleeping pad - 07/10/08 09:42 AM

psst.. your geek is showing.