Taste-Free Hydration Bladder?

Posted by: Mumblez

Taste-Free Hydration Bladder? - 06/23/08 05:26 AM

I've used Camelbak hydration bladders for a couple years now, but no matter how many times I clean them, they always have a plastic aftertaste.

Do all bladders taste this way? Any recommendations on getting the aftertaste out or a bladder that is taste-free would be appreciated.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Taste-Free Hydration Bladder? - 06/23/08 07:47 AM

Platypus bladders don't taint the water. As to the one you have I don't think there's much you can do.
Posted by: Paul_C

Re: Taste-Free Hydration Bladder? - 06/23/08 10:25 AM

I haven't noticed the new, larger-mouth, thicker Camelbak bladders doing this.
Posted by: El_Canyon

Re: Taste-Free Hydration Bladder? - 06/23/08 12:36 PM

Are you using the older style Camelbak bladders made of the blue plastic? Try Camelbak's "water beast" design, which is a dark grey/green color. Mine have never retained flavors even when using Gatorade or Gookinaid. The host connectors are much more robust too.
Posted by: Mumblez

Re: Taste-Free Hydration Bladder? - 06/23/08 03:15 PM

Yeah I also have one made by Nalgene that doesn't seem to retain much of a taste. It's kind of grimy so hopefully I can clean it out. Any suggestions? I was planning on just using regular dish soap.

The only other one out there that I'm considering is the MSR Cloudliner, just because it screws onto my water filter, which would make refilling easier. Anyone ever use on of them?