Hubba Hubba HP

Posted by: 300winmag

Hubba Hubba HP - 06/17/08 11:30 AM

I'm thinking of replacing my ancient and heavy Eureka Wind River 3 person dome tent which I use for summer car camping with my wife (and winter camping W/ .one tentmate).

The MSR Hubba Hubba HP seems an ideal 4 season tent.
It has:
1. great fly coverage for storm protection
2.Two entrances & vestibules!
3. VERY stable frame.
4. quite reasonable weight (a 4 season, 2 person tent at 3# 11oz.)
5. pretty good ventilation

Anyone had any experience with this HP version of the Hubba Hubba? (or the plain Hubba Hubba?)
Anyone have a better recommendation?

Eric
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Hubba Hubba HP - 06/17/08 12:24 PM

No experience with the HP version, but my wife and I used the regular Hubba Hubba to car camp a few times. (My brother and niece now have it, and use it for backpacking - they really like it. Which means I'll probably never get it back.)

Anyhow, when Karol and I used it, we really liked it. The two doors were located perfectly, along with the two vestibules. It was none too wide, but it wasn't cramped, either - and neither of us is petite. It easily holds two full-length Thermarests, side by side, with a little room to move around.

It was very easy to pitch. As far as condensation, we never had any problems - we did leave both vestibules fully open, however. All in all, a very nice tent.

After my brother and niece appropriated the tent, we replaced it with a Mutha Hubba, which has plenty of room for the two of us and is just roomy enough for us and our two granddaughters (4 and 7, feet to feet between us.)
Posted by: jdeutsch

Re: Hubba Hubba HP - 06/17/08 07:58 PM

I agree that it appears to be an excellent tent, but I believe that MSR does not advertise it as a four season tent. No personal experience either way, just wanted to mention that. Personally, I'm looking at the MSR Dragontail as a mountaineering tent and the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL as a three season tent (I'm too tall for the Seedhouse SL).
Posted by: TRAUMAhead

Re: Hubba Hubba HP - 06/17/08 08:39 PM

Depends on your 4 season use. Light snow/low winds, it'll be fine. I used a $30 Wally tent in with about 6" of snowfall over the night, and my tent kept me dry/warm. Just upgraded to a Hubba a couple weeks ago, haven't been in any bad weather yet. Only problem I see is the rainfly doesn't go all the way to the ground, and it's a windwall.