MSR XGK EX...my first white gas stove

Posted by: altadude

MSR XGK EX...my first white gas stove - 05/17/08 05:51 PM

well, I had a 20 percent off coupon from a local gear store (I should have direct deposit there) and purchased the XGK.........I have been playing with it at home.......this is my first non wood or alcohol stove....

Some questions:
1. How do you deal with the residual fuel in the fuel line? Do you shake it out back into the fuel bottle?
2. How do you deal with the pump and fuel on the pump?
3. Where do you store everything when bping? Where do you put everything in your pack?
4. How do you avoid spilling the white gas when camping?
5. When operating the stove in the snow do you need to put a pad under the fuel bottle when operating the stove?
6. Kerosene vs. White Gas-which do you prefer? why?

Leave no trace.........seems that the most perfect leave no trace would be no cooking.......second would be wood burning stoves.........I wonder why sites which prohibit open fires also prohibit stoves lie the sierra zip stove or self contained (with bottoms) wood burning stoves........

Thanks,
A
Posted by: Eric

Re: MSR XGK EX...my first white gas stove - 05/17/08 08:35 PM

I bought an XGK when they first came out. It did very well on winter trips but I don't do that anymore so it mostly gathers dust. except for a group trip now and then. To answer your questions:
1 Disconnect the stove from the pump and shake the fuel out of the line, you get most of it.
2 You can turn the bottle upside down and bleed off the air pressure, although I never bother, and shake off the little bit of fuel that leaks out. Leave the pump in the bottle.
3 In an outside pocket because of the residual fuel.
4 If you only take the pump out of the bottle when it's empty and switch it to a full bottle you don't have to handle the fuel at all.
5 No, but put something that won't burn under the buner.
6 White Gas, Kerosene has a higher fuel value but it stinks, soots up the put and the drips (see 1 & 2) don't evaporate.
Posted by: TomD

Re: MSR XGK EX...my first white gas stove - 05/18/08 12:14 AM

I have an XGK, 80's vintage.
Just shut off the valve at the pump and it should burn whatever fuel is left in the line; I don't recall there being any left over after doing so, but the new ones are a slightly different design.

Not sure what you mean by fuel on the pump; just close the valve and disconnect the pump from the fuel line when you are done using it.

I put the stove in my pack and the fuel bottle in an outside pocket with the pump in the bottle.

You avoid spilling white gas by being careful like you would with any liquid. I've carried two fuel bottles and it hasn't been a problem. Just be careful when you prime the stove-you don't want too much fuel in the priming pan otherwise you'll have a pretty good sized fire for a minute or two.

You don't need a pad under the bottle, but putting the whole stove and bottle on a piece of blue pad is a good idea. It stabilizes the stove. The fuel won't freeze but the pad keeps snow off the stove itself, which is a good idea.

White gas is cleaner than kerosene.