Replacement for MEC Northern Lite?

Posted by: jonnycat

Replacement for MEC Northern Lite? - 03/20/08 09:07 AM

I was looking to get a Northern Lite jacket from MEC this year, but they no longer carry it.

Does anyone know if it got a new name, or if they have a similar product?
Posted by: phat

Re: Replacement for MEC Northern Lite? - 03/20/08 03:36 PM

Hope they don't screw that up. I like my northern lite. - it's probably just not on the web site at the moment due to supply - they were in the stores last I saw.

I actually just returned after stopping in to pick up some curri-in-a-hurri and cr2032 batteries for the weekend - but I didn't walk through that part..

Re: Replacement for MEC Northern Lite? - 03/20/08 05:06 PM

THanks, phat, that is interesting. The last time I saw them on the MEC website was a year or two ago, when they were clearing out the last of a few odd sizes, after which they were no longer for sale.

I would be very interested to know if they still have them at their store....
Posted by: phat

Re: Replacement for MEC Northern Lite? - 03/20/08 05:55 PM

They almost certainly do. (although it was a crapshow today because they were moving from seasonal winter so seasonal summer, so I didn't shop around much). They often don't
put everything on the web site.

I see you're in WA - How far are you from the Great White North? i.e. can you just drive to
Vancouver, or do you need a Canuck to do you a favour?

Re: Replacement for MEC Northern Lite? - 03/21/08 12:54 PM

Aye, Oregon actually, close enough. Thanks for the info, I might consider a road trip this spring!
Posted by: wildthing

Re: Replacement for MEC Northern Lite? - 04/05/08 12:41 PM

I tried on the MEC Northern Lite but it didn't fit me too well. What I'm salivating over instead is the Feathered Friends vest that comes in Epic or eVent. Stays pretty dry with one of those fabrics, weighs ~7 oz, and costs way more!

http://www.featheredfriends.com/garmentP...Hyperion%20Vest

http://www.backpacking.net/hotgear-vests.html review of ff and wm vests
Posted by: robpatterson5

Re: Replacement for MEC Northern Lite? - 04/05/08 04:42 PM

I just bought a Fraction Hoody from Outdoor Research, to replace my Northern Lite.
Light (about 14 oz), about the same insulation, fits into its own pocket and has a insulated hood. Full marks in my book.