Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation

Posted by: jamieS

Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation - 03/07/08 04:01 AM

The REI near me doesn't always have a good selection of gear, so I typically order multiple models of an object online and have it delivered to the store... then immediately return what I don't like.

Now I'm in the market for a Women's backpack for my wife. Last year we tried the Osprey Aura 65 Pack, which fit well and is about the right volume, but the shoulder straps were not padded enough and my wife got bruised collar bones.

Any recommendations off of the REI website for a more padded backpack?

Thanks in advance!

-jamieS
Posted by: jaiden

Re: Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation - 03/07/08 05:27 AM

I just got the rei quick 45 for my wife which is light and holds all her gear nicely, but obviously isn't 65L. They may have a larger version, but if you're carrying an extra 20L you probably are carrying more weight than she is, so YMMV. She chose it after trying on several other well regarded packs such as two from Granite Gear. She is very petite.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation - 03/07/08 07:02 AM

If you must buy from REI, then their lightest one looks like the Vapor Trail. http://www.rei.com/product/699831 It’s has several good reviews for comfort.

I’ve never spent that much on a pack. I’ve been loving my Mountainsmith Ghost and Seraph. I use the Seraph if my wife is not going. If packed correctly, my son loves the GG Mariposa. That has some good torso ranges. Also I’ve been experimenting with the GoLite Pinnacle (bought used from this board). It’s very comfortable though my back sweats a bit more with it; so I put a pack towel between the pack and my back to solve that.

If patient, you can usually find good sales.

Good luck!

-Barry
Posted by: Keith

Re: Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation - 03/07/08 07:21 AM

How about trying a Luxurylite where the shoulder pressure can be zero?
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation - 03/07/08 09:30 AM

How about the Granite Gear Vapor Ki or Meridian Vapor Ki? Both are female-specific, so the padding may work better. The Vapor Ki is the women's model of the Vapor Trail, and I'm assuming the Meridian Vapor Ki is a women's model of the Meridian Vapor. Pay attention to the Granite Gear maximum load weights for the pack, though - they're usually pretty accurate. If REI doesn't give them, go to Granite Gear's website.
Posted by: jaiden

Re: Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation - 03/07/08 10:38 AM

Quote:
How about the Granite Gear Vapor Ki or Meridian Vapor Ki? Both are female-specific, so the padding may work better. The Vapor Ki is the women's model of the Vapor Trail, and I'm assuming the Meridian Vapor Ki is a women's model of the Meridian Vapor. Pay attention to the Granite Gear maximum load weights for the pack, though - they're usually pretty accurate. If REI doesn't give them, go to Granite Gear's website.

My wife tried on both of those and hated them. She much preferred the (smaller) REI quick 45, with its rigid frame and good ventilation. It was a lot cheaper too. I have the GG VT and love it, but I'm glad I didn't buy the vapor ki for her (campmor has the ki on sale) without having her try stuff on! I guess my point is that packs are like shoes and should be tried on to find out what works for YOU. Nothing against either GG pack, just this is what SHE preferred.
Posted by: jamieS

Re: Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation - 03/07/08 10:58 AM

[quote I guess my point is that packs are like shoes and should be tried on to find out what works for YOU. [/quote]

I hear you on that. I was jealous about her Osprey -- I have a mere Gregory G pack -- but it obviously didn't work for her.

Thanks for the suggestions... any others?

-j
Posted by: cat

Re: Women's Weekend Pack Recommendation - 03/07/08 04:15 PM

I too need a padded shoulder strap, always have with any pack, always will. So I strap on two strips of sheepskin with velcro ski straps. Instant comfort!

I have the Granite Gear Vapor Ki from rei.com., mentioned above, the women's version of the Vapor Trail, 2 pounds, good suspension.