New REI Cruise UL 60

Posted by: 300winmag

New REI Cruise UL 60 - 01/31/08 11:17 AM

My original REI UL 60 lightweight backpack had a few seam problems (due, I feel, to weakness of the thin body fabric) so I returned it for the updated version. The "Cruise" version does have stronger fabric but, strangely, it seems quite a bit taller & larger in capacity than my original UL 60.Am I dreaming? Both packs were size Large.

Anybody else notice this?

Maybe now I won't need the REI side pockets I bought for the previous model.
I've got them on the new Cruise but if'n I don't need the space then off they come.

Eric
Posted by: chaz

Re: New REI Cruise UL 60 - 02/01/08 05:23 AM

The REI pack is one that I am considering and haven't bought yet. I like the features and the size. Sorry I don't own yet so I can't answer your question. But how do you rate the pack with others that maybe you've tried? I like the pockets on the hip belt. Do you think the new model is well built? I think the price is right. I'm also a large. What about adjustability etc.
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: New REI Cruise UL 60 - 02/01/08 06:30 AM

I happen to own both models and have found the new version to indeed have more room. Whether it is from the fact that it has better pockets or actually has more volume i cannot say. The new fabric is much more robust and sturdy. The sil-nylon has a very low tolerance for scrapes and thorns on the older model. The weight is, surprisingly , about the same. So, to answer your question...buy the new one, its a lot better !

Re: New REI Cruise UL 60 - 02/01/08 11:42 AM

Chaz,

After using the new REI Cruise UL 60 last night with a 45 lb. load (5 lb. overloaded) for a 1 hour hike I'd day it is definitely a comfortable pack. Not quite as comfortable as my Dana Terraplane - but then the Terraplane weighs 7.5 lbs. EMPTY! While the Cruise UL 60 weighs only 3.7 oz. by my scales.

The newer REI UL 60 is a great pack, especially for $130. With the older UL 60 I had to put REI side pockets on the pack for extra space. Now, with the larger Cruise version, I doubt I'll need them. If I do it may be just one pocket strapped horizontally across the back or on the top flap pocket. This newer pack lacks the neat "moving" shoulder strap lower attatchments which I liked but it's improved durability means I won't have to wince every time the pack scrapes a rock or Manzinita tree. Lots to like in this pack.

Eric
Posted by: Ben2World

Re: New REI Cruise UL 60 - 02/01/08 04:29 PM

Quote:
While the Cruise UL 60 weighs only 3.7 oz. by my scales.

Perhaps you mean 3.7 lbs? That would make it 3 lbs 11 oz -- although REI claims 3 lbs 2 oz.

Re: New REI Cruise UL 60 - 02/01/08 11:47 PM

ER...yeah, Ben. That's 3 lbs. 7 oz, not 3.7 oz. for a size large REI UL 60. (Must've had a senior moment.)

Anyway, I've found the "redesign" has one glaring problem. The bottom nylon webbing ends of the shoulder straps attatch to the pack WAY too close to the stay area. This causes chafing on my "flanks" (and I'm a 33 inch waist). Now I'll have to move and re-attatch the [email]d@mn[/email] things on the outboard seam of the fabric piece they are on. Looked at other packs I own and none are spaced so close together like the REI Cruise UL 60. They must have used some anorexic for their model. Aaaarrgghhh!

Eric
Posted by: Earthling

Re: New REI Cruise UL 60 - 02/02/08 03:45 PM

Wmag pass this info on in a PM to BearPaw/Shawn, and he can foward it to the right folks in the REI design dept.

Re: New REI Cruise UL 60 - 02/02/08 11:55 PM

Earthling,

Will do.

Eric