Sierra Designs Flex Bags Are Back

Posted by: bigfoot2

Sierra Designs Flex Bags Are Back - 01/24/08 01:58 PM

O.K. Lets get the obvious comparisons going. Does anyone have any of the new Sierra Designs Flex series bags and how do they compare in the real world to Montbell? Years ago i almost bought one but went with a lighter bag to save weight. It seems Sierra Designs has seen how popular the Montbell bags have become and decided to bring them back, only at a better price point than the Montbell bags! What do you guys think?
Posted by: hootyhoo

Re: Sierra Designs Flex Bags Are Back - 01/24/08 03:09 PM

I had one when they used to make them. The story I got when I had to return it for warranty issues- I had to return the bag, Sierra Desiigns was unable to replace it because Mountain Hardware had the patent on the strectchy bags at the time. I had to get a non-stretchy bag as a replacement. They offered to refund my money on the bag, which I thought was very good product support.
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Sierra Designs Flex Bags Are Back - 01/24/08 06:11 PM

I am curious as to why you had to return the bag?
Posted by: drow42

Re: Sierra Designs Flex Bags Are Back - 01/25/08 05:56 AM

They really don't look that much cheaper to me than the montbell, and somewhat heavier.

Comparing directly:
SD Arrow Rock 30 30* 16oz of 600 fill 2lbs 5oz $200
MB SS Down Hugger #3 30* 12oz of 650 fill 2lbs $200

Granted, I compared the cheeaper MB bag, but I wanted to look at near equivalent fill powers. It looks like the biggest difference is the amount of down (600 fill vs 650 won't change that much here I don't think). If the SD is just as good as MB at eliminating cold spots with their stretch tech, then the SD bag should be warmer, but that is an if. MB usually are rated pretty close to their stated rating. But, its a little unusual to find MB bags on sale, maybe lesser so with the SD.

EDIT: MB regular fits to 5'10'', SD fits to 6'0''. This might also account for the weight difference.