Recommended SUPER WARM down parka?

Posted by: Xilinx

Recommended SUPER WARM down parka? - 09/24/22 07:27 AM

Hi, can anyone recommend a SUPER WARM down parka that won’t break the bank?

I lost my prized Eddie Bauer/First Ascent “Peak XV” jacket. I loved it but the arms were a little under-insulated. Looking for something even warmer (with moderately durable fabric). Ultralight not necessary.

Using it for a variety of winter activities (snow camping, mountaineering, etc.) in sub-zero conditions.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Recommended SUPER WARM down parka? - 09/24/22 01:40 PM

I can recommend the down jackets made by Montbell based on their quality and price, but I haven't purchased one of their 'super warm' models, only lighter weight ones, so I can't speak directly to your needs.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Recommended SUPER WARM down parka? - 09/24/22 02:41 PM

I have a Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero parka that has durable fabric and is reinforced in key areas, on sale for an astounding $124, almost 50% off. That was discontinued for the Chillwave parka that since has also been discontinued. Those were very warm and durable and they really last. I try to buy down clothing in the middle of summer when nobody wants them and the sales are outrageous.

Like Aimless my go to these days are the lightweight Montbell in both down jacket and vest. They are very well made. You are looking for something warmer but my guess is they will be expensive. Good luck with your search.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Recommended SUPER WARM down parka? - 09/24/22 04:11 PM

I'm the same: Montbell Superior Down Parka and Superior Down Pants (pants model no longer made.) Probably not as warm as what you're looking for, but they do have "heavier" (i.e., warmer) models. They also have a nice chart on their website that displays all the models in a two-axis (weight and warmth) grid.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Recommended SUPER WARM down parka? - 09/26/22 05:38 PM

I have a pair of the lightweight Montbell down pants too and they are cozy. To tell the truth their ultralight down vest is the most useful insulation in my kit, easy to pack and keeps the core warm on blustery days when stopped. Pair it with a lightweight windbreaker and that’s about all we need in the lower canyons. I have thrown in the jacket and pants for higher elevations in colder months but barely use them. Good backup if needed though.
Posted by: DustinV

Re: Recommended SUPER WARM down parka? - 09/28/22 10:17 AM

I went looking on eBay to see if there were old Golite puffy jackets, which were reasonably priced back when they were new. I found a Bitterroot, which is the super warm model I have, but it was priced as new.
Even so, pick a brand and model and give eBay a shot. Or check out the local thrift stores. You might get lucky.