Tent Question

Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Tent Question - 10/07/21 03:30 AM

I see that some single-wall tents, such as Zpacks, Tarptent, etc., have mosquito netting connected to the bathtub floor, and to the edge of the roof (fly) so that it's at an angle, or almost horizontal. Doesn't this put a lot of strain on the netting when the wind flaps the tent? Or am I missing something?

I'm toying with a MYOG project in the future, and curious if this is a design to be avoided.
Posted by: tramp

Re: Tent Question - 10/07/21 08:55 AM

I have an old Marmot Area 51 with that type of ventilation. Never really had it up in real windy conditions. It's not that great of a ventilation method. Best results when aligned prevailing wind direction. I've had the tent for 20+ years and it still in good shape. Hasn't been used extensively but it's seen some use.

Of course you're aware of the condensation issues with single wall. I use a little battery powered fan hung in the center to mediate it. Just avoid touching the walls is best.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Tent Question - 10/11/21 11:21 AM

My TarpTent is the Hogback which has an inner netting, so maybe other responses would be better. I will say, when I set up my Hogback a lot of tension is used to make a beautiful pitch. My oldest is now a teenager and this past week we were pushing the limits of the tent with my family of four. The zippers on the netting were clearly under tension, but it is a well designed tent and that tension is spread through out the netting. I've seen no indication of failure. Henry Shires seems to know what he is doing (and he doesn't change his designs every season like bigger tent manufacturers.