Min/Max Thermometer

Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Min/Max Thermometer - 07/10/21 03:39 AM

I have a Coghlan's Digital Dangler, a small, inexpensive device that indicates day, date, time, temperature (and records minimum and maximum temp) and also has an alarm. 1.1oz. including the lanyard that comes with it.

I thought I'd mention it, in case anyone else might be interested. They're discontinued, but there are still some available here and there on the net under $15. I bought mine many years ago, probably at REI, and it's still working.

It has its limitations, of course. The thermometer doesn't react very quickly, and it's not waterproof, but it works fairly well. I think it's fairly accurate, since indoors it agrees with a liquid-filled thermometer I also have.

I recently used it on those hot days we had recently. I went walking on both of the hottest days (I tolerate the heat pretty well), and it recorded 110.8 on one day and 111.7 on the next, riding in the semi-shade of a mesh pocket of my daypack.

Incidentally, something I learned from my little adventure is that lightweight long pants may be a better choice in that kind of heat. I was fine in the shade, but out in the direct sun, I was getting the standing-too-close-to-the-fireplace sensation on my legs.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Min/Max Thermometer - 07/12/21 09:32 AM

I'm a big fan of long pants and shirts in all weather. It's counter-intuitive but absolutely true that long sleeves can be cooler. I wonder if Arizona would agree, as he's the real expert in the heat and sun exposure department.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Min/Max Thermometer - 07/12/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I'm a big fan of long pants and shirts in all weather. It's counter-intuitive but absolutely true that long sleeves can be cooler. I wonder if Arizona would agree, as he's the real expert in the heat and sun exposure department.

Absolutely, we always wear long pants, long sleeves, buffs for the neck and sun gloves for solar protection in all seasons with the widest brim Tilley hat to top it all off. The LMT2 Tilley makes a lot of shade and insulates against the sun with 1/8”:closed cell foam in the crown and the brim. We had a small group of friends in college and two of them are gone now from melanoma. I think ultimately it is cooler with full clothing than letting the sun beat down directly onto skin. Might dehydrate one less quickly and serve more for evaporitive cooling of the body too.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Min/Max Thermometer - 07/12/21 02:38 PM

Traditional clothes in very hot, but non-tropical, climates are usually designed to expose very little skin to the direct sun.
Posted by: nwguy

Re: Min/Max Thermometer - 07/27/21 06:01 PM

yup. lots of older cultures used layers of clothes for summer. insulating from the heat