Hiking shoes for Hawaii

Posted by: jrmcanada

Hiking shoes for Hawaii - 06/30/21 09:19 AM

Hi. I’m looking for recommendations for hiking shoes in Hawaii. The trails I plan to go on are all low to average difficulty. But some of them have steep sections and many of them can be muddy at times. (The Lanikai Pillbox hike, hiking to Pihea Vista, etc.) My main concern is that they have excellent traction for muddy trails. In the past, I’ve been hiking there with just standard runners and it’s been fantastic until I run into trails that are slick or muddy after some rain.

I’m not doing heavy-duty hiking - I'm just an amateur. Probably just 2-4 hours a day for a week or two. I’m just looking for shoes that are comfortable, not hot (since it’s Hawaii), but most of all that have excellent traction in different terrains, including mud.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Posted by: BZH

Re: Hiking shoes for Hawaii - 07/01/21 10:21 AM

The standard advice for shoes is fit, fit, fit. Get something that fits your foot, fits your needs, and is comfortable over the use you have. The first one: fits your foot, is very personal to you. Somebody elses comfortable shoe may not work at all for you.

The second fit (your hiking needs) may be better for getting adivce. I would recommend trail hikers so you have a lightweight shoe on your foot. I will say many trail hikers sold in the US have soft lugs to cling to granite and slickrock. They will not do as well in consistently muddy conditions. I am not an expert, but what I think you are looking for is hard deep lugged shoes preferred by people who hike on the british isles.

I've never owned any, but you might want to look into Inov-8. I've heard good things. Somthing like: https://www.inov-8.com/us/mudclaw-g-260-v2-mens-trail-running-shoes
Posted by: HuggyBear

Re: Hiking shoes for Hawaii - 07/08/21 12:02 PM

Check out Salomon Speedcross 5 Trail-Running shoes. I love these trail runners!! Lite weight and insane traction and gripping power.

They make 2 versions....a regular one without waterproofing and another version that has the gortex waterproofing. Myself I use the regular version but this is a personal choice.

Note that Salomon always run a bit narrow in size so you may need the wide size version...I have to wear 11wide in these.