Tent preliminary thoughts: BA Copper Spur HV UL1

Posted by: Rick_D

Tent preliminary thoughts: BA Copper Spur HV UL1 - 04/25/20 11:57 PM

Having set up this tent in my backyard, here is what I can tell ya, in case anybody is in the market for one.

NB this discusses the 2019 model; it has been modified for 2020. The door system seems rather different.

Copper Spur is Big Agnes' side-entry "ultralight" tent series. They run a little larger and heavier than the front-entry Fly Creeks, which I've been using the last few seasons. The peak height is in the center rather than at the head end and they are technically self-supporting--the body does not require guying out (the fly does).

Separate body and fly, so it can be pitched as a bug tent on warm dry nights. The pole bundle is an impressive fistful of tubing, all connected with bungee. Pole tips go into four canopy corners and the rest of the canopy clips to the poles. A top spreader pole rotates 90 degrees to hold the apex apart. Takes a couple of minutes to spread out the canopy, assemble the poles and attach everything. The fly took me longer on the first go, because there are clips, sleeves and velcro tabs to deploy, and not all in an obvious fashion. Stake the corners and fly cords, and the job should be doable in five minutes or so once one has experience with it. Nice benefit to a self-supported canopy is pitching it then finding suitable flat ground for the final site. e.g., Assemble beneath a tree to stay out of the rain, then tote it to the tentsite.

It's roomy, both the square footage and headspace. With the fly, the vestibule is reasonably big for boots and some gear--not sure about a full pack. The fly door ties back for good ventilation. And when buttoned down, there's a top fly vent with rigid opening to help let out moisture. Lots of storage pockets in the canopy walls and ceiling.

Do not know the floor material spec--it's not particularly thick so protection underneath will be warranted in some conditions. The rest of the canopy and the fly appear adequate for typical 3-season use. Zipper weights don't raise a concern.

Weight spec is 35 ounces for canopy, fly, poles, stakes and sacks. Not "ultra"light per my dictionary, but still light for a very complete solo option for folks who value roominess, flexibility and the ease of side-entry. (Will add that the two-person version is only several ounces heavier and drops the per-sleeper weight a lot.)

MAYBE I'll get to try the thing this season. There are still sales in case you are interested in something like this.

Cheers,
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Tent preliminary thoughts: BA Copper Spur HV UL1 - 06/22/20 05:25 PM

Bump for a first-use update.

I only used the body because the fly wasn't needed. Setup proved quick and the freestanding design is handy when finding the best spot. NB The Copper Spur makes an excellent kite. Keep the stakes close! I appreciate the pole and webbing anchor color-coding that makes it obvious which pole tips go where. The poles are a handful when assembled.

It's a nice living space, with room for extra gear and good headspace in the center. The side entry is easier than door on the end, as with most of my shelters. Plenty of pockets for organizing and keeping things handy. Stargazing is always appreciated and the bugs can just take the night off.

So far, so good. Will know more once I need to use the rainfly and the other four stakes.

Happy hiking,
Posted by: Hiking Dad

Re: Tent preliminary thoughts: BA Copper Spur HV UL1 - 09/03/20 05:12 PM

I’ve used my BA CS UL1 every trip since 2013 (Except a few that were more suited to hammock camping) and if it ever needs to be replaced I’d get whatever is the current version. I like it that much. The HV seems to be a very nice iteration. I believe it’s gotten a little lighter and maybe a little smaller since I bought mine.

Side entry is key. Good choice!