Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag

Posted by: Rotem

Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag - 02/10/20 04:04 PM

Hello guys! first time here...
Im 18 years old from Israel, and backpack a lot. Looking for a new lightweight sleeping bag that I'll use for camping in the winter. The winter in Israel is not very cold - The cold nights are around 0 celsius (~30F) and maybe few nights a year will be colder. The problem is that a lot of the nights are humid, and you wake up to a wet sleeping bag, so down is not an option, because I dont want or need to cary tent.
My budget is 200-300$, and I need a sleeping bag in long size (Im 6'3) that would weigh as little as possible.
I was thinking about the Marmot Ultra Elite 20, but I dont realy know how to choose and would like some help.
Thanks smile
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag - 02/11/20 03:33 AM

Marmot's web site lists the long length at 2lb 3.6oz (1010g), which is very light for a synthetic bag, so I'd be a little skeptical of the 20-degree rating. It would be best if you could see one in a store before buying. A 20*F bag should have about 5" (12.7cm) of overall loft.

Keep in mind that bag ratings assume you're sleeping in a tent and (I think) wearing a base layer, so you're right to be looking for a somewhat warmer bag than the coldest temperatures you expect.

What about rain? Don't you at least have to carry a tarp or bivy sack?
Posted by: BZH

Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag - 02/11/20 11:44 AM

I would look into a quilt. They are much better for regulating temperature. When its cold you cinch it down and stay warm. When its warm you open it up and stick limbs out until you match the desired level of insulation.

I am a big fan of my EE quilt (no other affiliation than a happy customer). You can get a 30°F apex quilt in long that weighs 24 ounces and costs $215: https://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-apex-custom/

20°F quilt is just over 30 ounces and $230.

They also make it in extra long, but that is for people over 6'8"

Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag - 02/12/20 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
Marmot's web site lists the long length at 2lb 3.6oz (1010g), which is very light for a synthetic bag, so I'd be a little skeptical of the 20-degree rating. It would be best if you could see one in a store before buying. A 20*F bag should have about 5" (12.7cm) of overall loft.

Keep in mind that bag ratings assume you're sleeping in a tent and (I think) wearing a base layer, so you're right to be looking for a somewhat warmer bag than the coldest temperatures you expect.

What about rain? Don't you at least have to carry a tarp or bivy sack?

Thanks for the replys!
If I see one, what should I check? I cant really tell in a store how warm it is...
What is an overall loft?
The rating assume that you're wearing a base layer (which I always wear), but not a tent.
I do sleep in a tarp when its raining, but I dont want to carry it every hike...

Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag - 02/12/20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By BZH
I would look into a quilt. They are much better for regulating temperature. When its cold you cinch it down and stay warm. When its warm you open it up and stick limbs out until you match the desired level of insulation.

I am a big fan of my EE quilt (no other affiliation than a happy customer). You can get a 30°F apex quilt in long that weighs 24 ounces and costs $215: https://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-apex-custom/

20°F quilt is just over 30 ounces and $230.

They also make it in extra long, but that is for people over 6'8"

To be honest, I never seen a quilt in my life... no one uses it in Israel.
Is it even comfortable? What's its advantages?
Posted by: aimless

Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag - 02/12/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By Rotem
What is an overall loft?

Lay out the sleeping bag on a flat surface. The overall loft is the distance between that underlying surface and the top of the sleeping bag.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag - 02/12/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By Rotem

To be honest, I never seen a quilt in my life... no one uses it in Israel.
Is it even comfortable? What's its advantages?

In a sleeping bag, the insulation underneath you is compressed and doesn't add to your warmth. A quilt eliminates that insulation so you get the same warmth with less weight. Since it is more open, it is easier to stick body parts out to regulate your temperature. I also find them less constraining and not as claustrophobic as sleeping bags. Some people have concerns about drafts in the open back of the quilt. I haven't found it a problem down to 25°F. The quilts like EE's are designed to wrap around you and you can also use the included straps to attach (and seal) them to your mattress. IMO they end up the same as a sleeping bag, but you don't carry the insulation you don't use.

Also, I have interacted (on the internet) with at least one person in Israel who uses a quilt. They are their, but they are still new. REI (major outdoor retailer in the US) recently started selling them.
Posted by: Dondo

Re: Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag - 02/27/20 11:31 PM

Hi Rotem, I happen to own the Marmot Ultra Elite 20 in the regular size and have used it quite a bit. The temperature rating is for real. Marmot gets it's bags EN tested. This one got a EN13537 lower limit rating of 22.5F and a comfort rating of 33F.

I've slept in it down to the low twenties wearing a base layer and a puffy jacket and been fine. You're a lot younger than I am and probably run hotter, so you're likely to be fine with this bag.

One reason this bag is warm for the weight is that it has an efficient cut, so you have to know if you're OK with that.

Also, the actual weight of my bag is 34.8 oz which is 2.8 over Marmot's stated weight of 32 oz.

Premium synthetic bags like this will be discounted occasionally, so if you're patient you can get a good deal. I think I paid $150 for mine.