Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping

Posted by: Automaton25

Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 07/19/19 12:12 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum not not so new to the outdoors. I have tons and tons of gear and am normally pretty well equipped. However, this go around my wife and I have decided to backpack across Iceland in a couple weeks. With the 18 some odd hours of daylight in the country at the moment, I was curious if anyone has any experience or suggestions blacking out a tent. We will be in a Big Agnes Tumble 3 and will be keeping strange hours due to crowds and photography concerns. I was thinking a lightweight emergency blanket but have not tried it yet.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers,
Andrew
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 07/19/19 05:38 AM

It seems like the "space blanket" or maybe black 2mil polyethylene might work but possibly cause condensation or ventilation problems. Sleep masks may be another idea worth considering:

https://www.dreamessentials.com/articles-faq-025-what-as-an-eye-shades
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 07/19/19 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
It seems like the "space blanket" or maybe black 2mil polyethylene might work but possibly cause condensation or ventilation problems. Sleep masks may be another idea worth considering:

https://www.dreamessentials.com/articles-faq-025-what-as-an-eye-shades

That sounds like a good idea and draped over the rainfly should not introduce condensation, although I understand Iceland can be relentlessly windy and between fly and tent may be needed to keep it from flapping and blowing away.

Otherwise, sleep masks or cinching the sleeping bags really tight.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 07/22/19 11:33 AM

I agree with Bill. Eye shades would work much better and be much lighter than trying to black out your tent.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 07/26/19 12:52 AM

+2 to Bill's suggestion of eye shades.
Posted by: Petro1234

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 07/29/19 05:31 PM

Blacking out a tent also works for cooling and uv protection. String a tarp with tieouts over it and peg it down, works a treat, material at 2oz per sq yard, 6 sq yards, an extra 6 oz is nothing. You could try the tent footprint !
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 07/29/19 08:48 PM

I spent two weeks (quite a few years ago) in Norway above the Arctic Circle in June, which meant sunshine 24 hours except when it rained. All of us at the hostel slept when we felt like it and were out fishing in their rowboats at midnight, followed by a 2 am fish fry. So it helps to be flexible!

I'd go with the sleep mask which is not only the lightest option but the most versatile.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 08/12/19 10:45 PM

good solution and funny too because it is so simple.
I explained the OP situation to my wife, she came up with exactly the same solution.
Posted by: Petro1234

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 08/13/19 06:08 PM

@
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I spent two weeks (quite a few years ago) in Norway above the Arctic Circle in June, which meant sunshine 24 hours except when it rained. All of us at the hostel slept when we felt like it and were out fishing in their rowboats at midnight, followed by a 2 am fish fry. So it helps to be flexible!

I'd go with the sleep mask which is not only the lightest option but the most versatile.

Do you not think that the sun through the tent would be a problem, heating you up ?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 08/13/19 08:21 PM

It was never that warm the two weeks in mid to late June that I spent near or above the Arctic Circle. It rained a lot, too.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 08/14/19 11:25 AM

When I was in high school we went rafting down a river north of Kotzebue, AK. It was the hottest summer in memory (at the time) according to the ranger we met. It was odd trying to sleep in full daylight but it was never too hot to sleep in the tent.
Posted by: Mbphoto

Re: Blacking Out A Tent for Arctic Circle Camping - 08/29/19 04:29 PM

Spent two weeks tent camping in Laponia in July. Used sleep masks every night and had no issues at all.