After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe

Posted by: m1ckDELTA

After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe - 02/01/19 02:42 PM

The other option is to repair two recent tears in the wall and the rain fly. Thing is, if I choose to replace it, I'm not sure I'll be able to find a tent as well made as the Apex XT for a similar price in today's money.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe - 02/01/19 08:03 PM

Welcome!

It depends on what you mean by “well-made.” If you’re looking for the same materials, sewer-pipe poles, heavy-duty zippers, etc. - chances are you won’t.

But you may find “better.” Fabrics, coatings, poles, and hardware have all changed - mostly for the better - in the last 20 years, resulting in tents that look flimsy and weigh far less, but perform as well or better. I owned several Eureka tents, back in the day, including a “special edition” Timberline 2 that had two sewn-on vestibules (and weighed north of 8 pounds.) I loved that tent, but I wouldn’t trade any of the MSR Hubba tents that replaced it or the Fly Creek UL1 I’m using this weekend to get it back. They’ve all held up under harsher conditions than I ever encountered with the Timberline, and none exceeded 3 pounds (that Fly Creek is just over a pound and a half.)

I don’t know if you’ll get 20 years out of the next one; my hobby is trying out gear, so I tend to upgrade every couple years because, well.... “Ooohh, shiny!” (I don’t have a boat, mistress or other bad habits, so I guess I’m entitled to this one vice?) However, the used version gets passed on to other hikers, and I’ve encountered a few of my “old” tents on the trail 5 or 6 years later, still in great shape.

Enjoy shopping for that new tent, and feel free to ask questions here.
Posted by: BZH

Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe - 02/04/19 11:37 AM

The last couple years I have retired two 20 year old tents not because they were ripped or broken, but because I found out at an inopportune time they were no longer rain proof. Here in California we have searing, hi-UV sun and not much rain. Longevity and those UV rays damage the fabrics and it might not be apparent. A basic function of a tent is to keep you dry when it rains and water doesn't only get in through visible holes. How sure are you that this tent is worth saving?

and I also agree with the comments above... you won't find a dinosaur like that Eureka. Much better tents are available for less (time corrected dollars).
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe - 02/04/19 12:31 PM

We’ve all had those “inopportune” moments. Just like headlamp batteries only seem to die in the dark, tents only leak in the rain. smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe - 02/04/19 01:11 PM

After 20+ years, your tent fabric has probably deteriorated. If it smells bad, this is definitely true and the tent should be honorably retired. Set the tent up in your back yard and test it with your hose! I do that even with a new tent (not that I've bought any lately) to make sure I've seam sealed it properly. I spent one trip, when it rained every day, holding a towel up to a small gap I left in the seam sealing process, feeing like the Dutch boy and the dike!

And yes, tent technology has vastly improved in the past 20 years! Tents are far lighter and stronger.
Posted by: Petro1234

Re: After 20+ years. Retiring my Eureka Apex XT. Maybe - 02/04/19 02:06 PM

For 7 lbs you shouod be able to find lots od well made tents at reasonable prices. Standard domes have come along way,there are good examples of this on this site. But go light if you can, and at 7lbs you can find tents that are lighter very easily.