Can you alternate between zero drop and regular dr

Posted by: hill axel

Can you alternate between zero drop and regular dr - 01/08/19 02:50 AM

I'm considering trying out Altra shoes, either the Torin or Paradigm. I've been wearing Hoka Clifton's for the past 3+ years, which has a 5mm drop.

I don't want to give up on ever wearing them again or losing the option of wide variety regular shoe drops have vs the more limited zero drop shoe choices.

Can you alternate between between the two on certain days or once you go zero drop you have to stay there?
Posted by: Pika

Re: Can you alternate between zero drop and regular dr - 01/08/19 08:29 AM

I’ve alternated between zero drop shoes and elevated heel shoes in the past with no problems. I eventually gave up on the “zeros” because I prefer more heel cushion.
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: Can you alternate between zero drop and regular dr - 01/09/19 03:59 AM

It took me quite a while to get used to the Altras (Lone Peak 3.5), like maybe four or five months of wearing them almost every day, but not exclusively. I suspect that once your calf muscles have stretched out a bit, you can alternate with other shoes as long as you wear the zero drop shoes some of the time. At least, that's what I'm doing. Otherwise, it seems like your calf muscles could shorten up again.

Since you've been wearing the Hokas with a pretty low drop, the Altras shouldn't take too long to get used to.

Regarding cushioning, since Pika mentioned it, the Altras have plenty of cushioning. The Torin and Paradigm are road runners as opposed to trailrunners, but both types are well cushioned. Some models have less cushion than others, but their web site has that information for the different models.