Save a Goose? Recycle Down?

Posted by: Jim M

Save a Goose? Recycle Down? - 10/24/18 08:17 PM

I have an old down sleeping bag and a down comforter I'm about ready to discard. Rather than adding it to the landfill is it possible to somehow or somewhere recycle the down? I have done a little sewing making various backpacking items over the years, but to tell you the truth I don't want to get involved in making a down garment or anything from the recycled down. It would be just way to much stitching and messing with down accidentally flying all around the house.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Save a Goose? Recycle Down? - 10/25/18 11:30 AM

It looks like currently down recycling is available only in Europe (where they still use feather beds...aaaahhhh....so comfy!). You could donate them to Goodwill or equivalent to increase the chance they get reused.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Save a Goose? Recycle Down? - 10/25/18 03:36 PM

A number of outfits collect old used sleeping bags, blankets, quilts, coats, jackets, etc. for the homeless. I suggest that's your best bet.
Posted by: Petro1234

Re: Save a Goose? Recycle Down? - 10/28/18 07:22 PM

I shouldnt think so, tye degredation of natural fibers isnt worth it. Some companys actually offer to refill garments because of this very reason.

+1 TO worthy causes, a nice down thingy if your "down" on your luck has only to be a nice thing.

Have you ever thought why down is so cheap ? The chinese get through a hell of a lot of duckses and geeses for grub, so i would also add its as ethical as could be.

Eider down on the other hand is mucho mucho pricey.