Mirror Compass

Posted by: Jim M

Mirror Compass - 10/22/18 01:38 PM

I really like simple base plate compasses and find them surprisingly accurate. I have taught navigation classes and students learn quickly even with the simplest, inexpensive base plate compasses. I have never used a mirror compass and was wondering if they are truly more accurate and if they are easy to use. For example, the mirror reads the numbers on the bezel in a mirror image; so are they difficult to read? Some of them have a little peep hole at the bottom of the mirror. Does that make it easier to sight on a landmark or objective?

UST has some reasonably priced mirror compasses that are reported to be rugged and well made. http://www.ustbrands.com/product/hi-vis-folding-map-compass/
2.5 ounces. Is the mirror worth the extra weight?
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: Mirror Compass - 10/22/18 02:54 PM

I can't comment on the accuracy from personal experience, since I normally just use the compass the "regular" way. I suspect it's more precise when that might be desired. The mirror is valuable in other ways, though. Besides just looking at yourself, it could be useful in case you get something in your eye. Also possibly for signaling.

Re: Mirror Compass - 10/22/18 03:12 PM

I assume by "regular way" you mean orienting your self by finding general directions with the compass. That is probably true of most people. Regarding "looking at yourself" I have found that a scary proposition lately.
I don't have a time machine, and yet when I look in the mirror, presto; Where has the time gone!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Mirror Compass - 10/22/18 05:38 PM

I always figured that the mirror was so you could see who was lost. smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Mirror Compass - 10/24/18 04:32 PM

While it's good to have a mirror, especially when solo, in case of foreign object in the eye or of facial cuts requiring bandaging, or possibly signaling, I don't have one on my compass.

Re: Mirror Compass - 10/24/18 08:11 PM

I just ordered a mirror compass (UST brand) and I'll let you know if it seems more accurate or easier to use.

Re: Mirror Compass - 10/29/18 08:22 PM

I got my mirror compass I ordered and I am happy with it. I think it is at least slightly easier to use than a baseplate compass w/o a mirror. When you sight a distant object with A simple baseplate compass it requires sighting the object and then moving the compass to look at the reading. I find that process accurate, but you have to do several trials to be sure. With my new mirror compass I can sight on a distant object and read the compass almost without moving it. Only rarely have I found I needed such accuracy, but on occasion when identifying a distant peak for example, I did.