Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors.

Posted by: SJS

Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 09:32 AM

If you use scissors for moleskin, etc. do you carry dedicated scissors or a multitool (or knife with scissors)?

I don't use most of the tools on a multitool or similar knife so that is heavier than needed; but small scissors I try don't work well on moleskin and big scissors are, well, big.

What do you use?
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 10:06 AM

I carry a tiny knife and nail clippers.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 10:08 AM

The only mini-tool scissors that I’ve ever found which will actually cut moleskin are on the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Classic. (I’ve never tried the larger, heavier SAKs; I would assume the scissors on them would also work.) It also has tweezers that are actually functional, which eliminates another element in my first aid kit. Best of all, it weighs an ounce.

The little fold-out scissors on the Leatherman Micra and Gerber Dime are useless; they won’t cut moleskin, but just kind of chew it.

If you’d still prefer actual scissors, I’d recommend the Fiskars Folding Travel Scissors; you can find them at any online or brick-and-mortar sewing store. They fold small, are very light, and most importantly, are very sharp.

Before I found the SAK Classic, I carried a pair of the Fiskars scissors, some Uncle Bills tweezers, and a Gerber Mini LST pocketknife (I really liked the lock back feature that kept the knife from folding onto my fingers) - all 3 together weighed less than 3 ounces.

By the way, I used to carry a small nail clipper. Now, as my trips never are longer than 3 days, I just trim my nails before I leave home. The small scissors and the nail file on the Swiss Army knife do a good-enough job for any touch-up needed on the trail.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 10:17 AM

I don't carry moleskin, because I've never needed it, and I figure I can use bandages and duct tape if I get a hot spot. That said, the scissors in the Leatherman Micra and the Leatherman Style CS are very good. These tools are small and light with minimal unnecessary functionality. Or, for even less weight, you could carry a pair of those tiny folding scissors. I found mine in the sewing section of my local big box department store, Fiskars brand I think. I ended up not carrying these though, because the micro scissors on my current multitool (LM Style PS) are sufficient for my needs.

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
The little fold-out scissors on the Leatherman Micra and Gerber Dime are useless; they won’t cut moleskin, but just kind of chew it.

Glenn, are you sure you're not thinking of a different LM keychain model? The scissors are the primary tool on the Micra.

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 10:23 AM

No, I’m not confusing it. I should have said the Micra scissors are useless for cutting moleskin. I’ve carried a Micra as my everyday pocket knife for the last twenty years, and am totally pleased with the ability of the scissors to cut paper, packing tape, and other everyday materials, and I also likethe assortment and functionality of the other tools on it.

I’ve just not found it to fit my needs very well for backpacking. Sorry if I created any unnecessary confusion.

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 10:55 AM

Ah, I see. That's really good to know for future reference. Thanks for clearing it up, Glenn.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 11:05 AM

I carry a big mega, multi-tool SAK I bought with my paper route money when I was a kid. I keep trying to replace it with something smaller and includes the tools I need, but every time I go to pack, it ends up coming along. I am beginning to wonder if I have an emotional attachment to it. The scissors do cut mole skin well.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 02:14 PM

I carry a small fingernail scissors. They're what I use to trim my toenails & fingernails, which can be handy on a long hike. They're also good for cutting tape or moleskin, or trimming away dead skin. If necessary I could use them to trim my nose hair, too! grin

Most importantly, they cut things. Ineffective, dull scissors that chew on things are maddening. Same with scissors so tiny they are barely useable.
Posted by: professor

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 03:00 PM

I carry the small Swiss Army Classic Knife. The tools it has are the right mix for my needs.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 03:34 PM

Since switching from boots to trail runners, I've never had to cut moleskin, because I've never had a blister. I still carry a small piece in my first aid kit, but since it's been there for over 10 years, I probably should discard it. Since then I switched to the Leatherman Squirt as my knife/multitool, but I've used the scissors only for fingernails and trimming bandaids to fit. I have never tried it on moleskin!

In the more distant past, I used my knife blade for moleskin, using a nearby log or larger dead stick as my "cutting board." It just seemed to work better!

I personally need the pliers the most. I use them for pot lifters and also for gripping ends of straps to pull through buckles and other tasks for which my fingers do not have the gripping strength needed.

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 05:02 PM

You only need to worry about an emotional attachment if you’ve given it an opposite-gender name. smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/29/18 10:09 PM

lol
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 08/31/18 03:32 AM

The Slip-N-Snip folding scissors work well. 0.9oz. and US-made, about $10.

I have a pair in my first-aid kit, but I always have a little Swiss Army knife in my pocket (Wenger version) so they're probably redundant.
Posted by: PaHiker

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 09/01/18 03:54 AM

I just carry a sharp pen knife with a sharp point. Never had a problem cutting moleskin. The sharp point cuts through with no problems.
Posted by: Talthing

Re: Multitool or knife scissors or dedicated scissors. - 12/06/18 10:47 PM

check out the Leatherman Juice S2...4 oz has full size scissors. I haven't found anything better.