Is Colombia still making hiking shoes??

Posted by: steve-in-kville

Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/16/18 03:23 PM

Know its been a few years since I bought a pair, but I went online to both Campmor and Cabelas... no Colombia models to be found. Did they leave this market or what? Maybe I'm searching under the wrong categories??

I have injuries to my legs and feet and Colombia always did well for me.

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/16/18 03:46 PM

Zappos has a bunch of shoes... what gives with everyone else? Did their quality tank in the past few years?
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/17/18 04:25 AM

Their website still shows a fairly large number of trail running and hiking footwear (some of which is on sale right now.) Although at one time it was right up there with the old North Face and Patagonia, I’ve never really used clothing from Columbia; it always seemed heavier and perhaps overbuilt compared to the other brands. It was the same with shoes: Vasque was “the” shoe, and they fit me well, so I’ve never used any Columbia footwear and can’t really comment on where their quality
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/17/18 10:56 AM

After Columbia Sportswear took over Montrail (especially their Hardrock model) and completely changed their shoes (first making major changes to the last and then discontinuing Montrail's models altogether), I refuse to have anything to do with their stuff.

Unfortunately, most shoe makers (not just Columbia) change their lasts every year or two even if they don't change the model name. That means that even if a model or brand fit a few years ago, it undoubtedly won't today. The only defense is, once you've found the shoe that is perfect for you, to buy several pair before the next model change. New Balance seems to be the only exception, but even they have reduced the number of models using their SL-2 last (narrow heel, wide and high toe box), which still fits me.

I think you may be searching the wrong places. Campmor carries generally discounted/discontinued items and Cabela's caters to the vehicle-bound hunter and fisherman. Of course even REI (supposed to be the source for hikers) has also considerably reduced the brands/models it carries. Your best bet is to find a good running shoe store that carries a wide selection of trail runners (what most of us use for hiking shoes), and try on everything. Or the online stores (like Zappo's and others) that provide free return shipping until you find the shoe that fits.

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/18/18 05:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've bought from Zappo's in the past with success. I work with a man that done the AT and he tells me that a newer brand called Keen is the way to go. I'm hesitant to try something else, but if Columbia has prostituted themselves, I may have to.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/18/18 10:18 PM

If you've got a Dicks Sporting Goods near where you are, they carry Keens, so you could try them on.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/18/18 11:02 PM

Yeah. The proof of the trail shoe is in the wearing of it on your own feet. Other hikers can give you reasonable info about how durable a shoe might be (although some durability problems are designed in and others are quality control problems), but FIT is much more important than durability. The only test for fit is by putting the shoe on and walking around. A great shoe for someone else could be a bad fit for your foot, and a bad fit is torture.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/19/18 12:58 PM

I agree--FIT is the #1 priority, not the brand or the model. Try on everything in sight. If it feels good, walk around the store for half an hour. Then walk around on your (hopefully clean) carpet at home for at least another hour, or more, while you can still return the shoe. If possible, try a slanted surface to see what happens to your foot when going up or down hills. Also, try wearing a pack during these trials.

Yes, it's a lengthy process, but the only way to get a properly-fitting shoe.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/19/18 05:11 PM

Ditto - in real estate, it’s Location, Location, Location. In hiking shoes, it’s Fit, Fit, Fit. After that, it’s Fit. (I have a buddy who happily backpacks in bright red trail shoes because they fit him like a really good glove.)
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? - 01/23/18 10:14 PM

Columbia is cheap Chinese crap. I would avoid if I were you.