Texsport Saguaro 2 Man Bivy

Posted by: EMT Dave

Texsport Saguaro 2 Man Bivy - 12/18/17 05:16 PM

Does anyone out there have any experience of any kind with the Texsport Saguaro 2 man Bivy? Texsport is not exactly high end stuff, but I like the design and size of the shelter. I have ultralight shelters and one decidedly not light shelter (like 5 lbs. or some such). I am thinking that for certain conditions this might be helpful: bugs, moderate chance of rain, a companion that is not comfortable in the floorless bug potential of my MSR ultralight.
Thoughts please.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Texsport Saguaro 2 Man Bivy - 12/18/17 07:06 PM

I don't have any experience, but looking at pictures, I'm not sure why it is being called a bivy. Looks like a double tent. Perhaps they call it a bivy to manage expectations. It doesn't look very tall compared to most tents and it is not freestanding.

4.2 lbs seems a bit heavy for what it is. I guess they don't use high end fabric.... so you could say 4.2 lbs is pretty good for a tent that cheap. I would guess a similar tarptent would weigh a little over 2 lbs... of course it would cost 5 to 10 times as much.

Re: Texsport Saguaro 2 Man Bivy - 12/18/17 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By BZH
I don't have any experience, but looking at pictures, I'm not sure why it is being called a bivy. Looks like a double tent. Perhaps they call it a bivy to manage expectations. It doesn't look very tall compared to most tents and it is not freestanding.

4.2 lbs seems a bit heavy for what it is. I guess they don't use high end fabric.... so you could say 4.2 lbs is pretty good for a tent that cheap. I would guess a similar tarptent would weigh a little over 2 lbs... of course it would cost 5 to 10 times as much.

I found an alternative weight for the bivy of 3.75 lbs., so really, I am not sure what the real weight is.
I think that the term bivy is intended to refer to the style of the earlier one man bivys. It is just tall enough to sit upright in. Two people will fit if they each take up no more than 22 inches width.
I think the lack of freestanding capability is to reduce the weight.
I have a high tech tarp-tent by MSR that is decent for one plus gear, but it lacks bug resistance and requires a separate floor. It is tight for two but is about the same as this bivy.
I am in no rush to jump though, no matter what I decide.
Thanks.
Does anyone have personal experience?
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Texsport Saguaro 2 Man Bivy - 12/19/17 09:51 PM

I read a couple of reviews. The favorable review said it was not the quality of an expensive mountaineering tent, but was working out fine for him. He said the poles and clips are not the highest quality, but if they break they can be replaced. 4.0 pounds was reported. That is not too bad for two people carrying it. Be aware it is a small two person tent. i consider 5' x 7 about right and this one is not that wide. Maybe that is why they call it a bivvy. one of my friends has one very similar and uses it like a one person tent which would be fine even with gear inside. My Mountain Hardware Shelter II weighs only 2 pounds and is larger inside for two people. (single wall, no floor).

Re: Texsport Saguaro 2 Man Bivy - 12/21/17 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By Jim M
I read a couple of reviews. The favorable review said it was not the quality of an expensive mountaineering tent, but was working out fine for him. He said the poles and clips are not the highest quality, but if they break they can be replaced. 4.0 pounds was reported. That is not too bad for two people carrying it. Be aware it is a small two person tent. i consider 5' x 7 about right and this one is not that wide. Maybe that is why they call it a bivvy. one of my friends has one very similar and uses it like a one person tent which would be fine even with gear inside. My Mountain Hardware Shelter II weighs only 2 pounds and is larger inside for two people. (single wall, no floor).

Well, to be honest, most of the time I would probably use it alone. I do have an MSR ultralight which kills everything is lightness is the only goal. I think it weights under two pounds, but has no floor (which means you have to carry a groundcloth which adds to the weight) but no bug protection, which in summer is an issue. That too is mighty tight for two in bad weather. I have another ultralight which I made, have not yet tried it. That may be the solution.