squeaky Osprey aura 65 pack

Posted by: ksk

squeaky Osprey aura 65 pack - 07/01/17 05:35 PM

Hi everyone,
I did a lot of backpacking in my teens and twenties, and now after 40 years am getting back into it. I joined this forum because I would like to know if other people have had the same problem with their Osprey packs that I have. I bought the Osprey because Backpacker magazine named it the pack of the year and I loved the Anti-gravity web mesh. I've taken it on several week long backpacking trips as well as some overnights. It is a very comfortable pack but it squeaks with every step I take! I think it is the Anti-gravity mesh that is squeaking. Since there is no metal, I can WD40 anything. I don't understand why it is squeaking and don't know what to do about it. My previous packs did not squeak. Does anyone else have squeaky packs? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Thank you,
ksk
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: squeaky Osprey aura 65 pack - 07/01/17 06:54 PM

Welcome!

The squeaky pack gets the grease? No, just kidding. I have read other complaints about squeaking, but I don't know which model(s).

BTW, I have learned to ignore all recommendations from Backpacker Magazine, having learned the hard way. blush

My experience with Osprey packs has been limited to try-ons. Their hip belts and my hips are definitely not compatible! Which just goes to show that pack fit is almost as indivdual as shoe fit. (I have a horrible time with shoes, too.) Lots of folks here love their packs!

Seriously, I suggest contacting Osprey Customer Service
cs@ospreypacks.com
M-F, 8am - 5pm, MST
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: squeaky Osprey aura 65 pack - 07/01/17 07:18 PM

I agree, contact customer service. I briefly used the Atmos AG pack, and had the same noise; one online reviewer says "it doesn't squeak, it crunches. It's not the metal frame making the noise, it's the stretch mesh." I didn't like the pack for other reasons (in a nutshell, too many features I didn't use resulting in too heavy a pack.) The AG suspension is comfortable, but noisy. I didn't keep mine long enough to see if it went away with time; I returned it to REI after one shakedown day-hike.

I am, however, very pleased with my Osprey Exos (both 48 and 58 sizes.) It's possible to tighten everything down and make it squeak, but you have to work at it. Adjusted normally, it's a quiet pack.

As far as Backpacker, I no longer read it - I suspect the reviews and recommendations are driven as much by ad revenue as actual performance tests. Backpacker used to be great, full of articles and thoughtful reviews. Now, the articles are merely collections of loosely related factoid boxes and photo captions, and the reviews are marketing-speak. Sad ending for a once-great voice about the pleasure that is backpacking.
Posted by: ksk

Re: squeaky Osprey aura 65 pack - 07/02/17 12:19 AM

thank you for your feedback!
Ksk